SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

S&DJR 7F 2-8-0 88 (53808)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrison_c

Location: Highley, Or B'north MPD And in Septemeber: Staffordshire Uni :D:D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where were the Station Staff at Highley?

i would have acceidently left the Cylinder Cocks open for them....

yet again some people never learn, like some members of the Public when the yard is open at B'north Sad
Ben6024

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv seen it several times before at stations such as Arley and Highley, where walkers have been walking down the valley and along the river, they come to what they think is a crossing where it is atually the railway unfortunatly they dont pay attention to the signs and carry on as normal! Hard to overcome with the amount of foot crossings we have along the line.
TonyW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harrison_c wrote:
yet again some people never learn, like some members of the Public when the yard is open at B'north

In my time at the SVR the yard at Bridgnorth was *always* open, and was considered perfectly safe at the time. So what has changed?

Ben6024 wrote:
Not only the fact they wernt wearing high-viz, they shouldnt have been there at all, but hey what can you do?

Why would high-viz have helped? Does that make them indestructible?

There is no sign visible in the photo that says "do not pass this point" or similar, so how would they have known they were doing wrong? And what about the three guys in the foreground, are they doing wrong and in danger too? If I could see them being admonished by the two guys visible on the footplate I would have some sympathy with the comments expressed here but they both look completely disinterested in the apparently life-threatening incident occurring right in front of them.

It seems to me that if FIVE people can expose themselves to danger then perhaps it may have been a lack of signage or direction that has created a problem. And whose fault is that then?
bowell_d

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyW wrote:
There is no sign visible in the photo that says "do not pass this point" or similar, so how would they have known they were doing wrong? And what about the three guys in the foreground, are they doing wrong and in danger too? If I could see them being admonished by the two guys visible on the footplate I would have some sympathy with the comments expressed here but they both look completely disinterested in the apparently life-threatening incident occurring right in front of them.

It seems to me that if FIVE people can expose themselves to danger then perhaps it may have been a lack of signage or direction that has created a problem. And whose fault is that then?

Did there not used to be a sign on the vertical length of rail in the centre of the picture (and, if not, why is it there)?
harrison_c

Location: Highley, Or B'north MPD And in Septemeber: Staffordshire Uni :D:D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i meant in the Terms of the Autum steam gala, with some memebers of the Public ignoring the Safety Barriers/ Tape
sharpo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowell_d wrote:
Did there not used to be a sign on the vertical length of rail in the centre of the picture (and, if not, why is it there)?

There certainly used to be a sign, as seen here:-

Check the blog for all the latest sightings, photos or videos:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Or links from calendar -
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/?page_id=5050
Ben6024

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From looking at the picture again it looks as if the vertical rail is still there, just the sign isnt Confused
heap_r

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyW wrote:
If I could see them being admonished by the two guys visible on the footplate I would have some sympathy with the comments expressed here but they both look completely disinterested in the apparently life-threatening incident occurring right in front of them.

Looking at the index page for that photo here http://117305.fotopic.net/c1480964.html it says: "after the shot [taken by 117305] was taken the driver had a few words with them".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of peaple "off limits" did any one else,notice the "person"sitting above the Bridgnorth side of knowlsands tunnel- i think it was the 1300 off Bridgnorth he was filming .
He may have been a bit hard to spot, has he had no high vis on.
Dave Barton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't understand this obsession some folks have about high viz jackets, is it some sort of uniform?

Wearing of high viz jackets is the right thing to do when for instance: using a lineside pass on railway property, in fact it's mandatory.

However why not be considerate of others when you are off railway property take them off they spoil other peoples filming or photography, in these circumstances wear something unobtrusive so as not to spoil the enjoyment of others.

Dave
sharpo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Barton wrote:
Can't understand this obsession some folks have about high viz jackets, is it some sort of uniform?

They probably think it makes them look important.

Check the blog for all the latest sightings, photos or videos:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Or links from calendar -
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/?page_id=5050
Joe2027

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
Dave Barton wrote:

They probably think it makes them look important.

I have mixed feelings about high viz vests. On the one hand when wearing one, I feel like a fool. On the other I know I need to make myself visible trackside for my own and rly staff safety. So I always wear one trackside.

When I'm not trackside, I always take mine off because I don't want to look like a tw*t !
mick_wilson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe2027 wrote:
. . . . I don't want to look like a tw*t !
Is that with an "i" or an "a"?
Joe2027

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mick_wilson wrote:
Joe2027 wrote:
. . . . I don't want to look like a tw*t !
Is that with an "i" or an "a"?

Whichever you prefer, after 40 odd years I've been called all the names under the sun !
mud child

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im my line of work it is compulsery to wear Hi Viz whenever 'On or near the line' or 'on the lineside' (thats over 3m from the line but within the boundry fence). it is not required if you are outside the boundry fence.

The big railway also insist people only go on the line side or on or near the line if they have authority and a reason to be there (photographing trains isn't normally a reason to risk your life).

railways are a very dangerous place and people do need to be seen when on or near the line, they should also be fully aware of all of the risks which is the point of a PTS.

FYI, the penalty for tresspass on NR is a 1000 fine.

[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: