SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LMS 5MT 4-6-0 5000
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyW

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:
... The loco requires frame repairs and very 'heavy' boilerwork ...

Frame repairs? Nothing to do with a high-speed excursion up Bridgnorth loco shed head shunt, by any chance?
Dave Barton

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if 45110's frames are capable of taking the sloping throatplate boiler or does the aforementioned picture answer the question.

Cheers Dave
xpc smooth

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Barton wrote:
I remember discussing 5000 and 5110 some a good few years ago with Tony Pirie he said that 5000 was a very strong engine but that it's riding was much worse than 5110.

Dave

I have quite a few good memories of firing and driving, 5000 on the Valley and I can confirm, that, towards the end, it was extremely rough riding. The rear axleboxes were terribble. After a day on her, you would be walking two steps - bang, two steps - bang because you would be so used to getting the thump on your feet. Great steamer though, like all Fives.
xpc smooth

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000 Reply with quote

shez5690 wrote:

Here's another clip of 5000, this time leaving Northwood Halt. Can anyone identify the driver? Very Happy

Couldn't make that one out, shez5690, but had a browse at some of your others and the ones of Raveningham Hall on 9th July 1988 are definitely Driver Brian Thomas and me...and yes, he really did make them go like that, particularly with Raveningham, (Ratbag to its friends), which he mostly owned at the time.

Departure from Northwood was impressive, I thought.
shez5690

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 5000 Reply with quote

xpc smooth wrote:
shez5690 wrote:

Here's another clip of 5000, this time leaving Northwood Halt. Can anyone identify the driver? Very Happy

Couldn't make that one out, shez5690, but had a browse at some of your others and the ones of Raveningham Hall on 9th July 1988 are definitely Driver Brian Thomas and me...and yes, he really did make them go like that, particularly with Raveningham, (Ratbag to its friends), which he mostly owned at the time.

Departure from Northwood was impressive, I thought.

Thanks for the reply. I'd always had a suspicion it was Jim Bodfish on my clip of 5000 leaving Northwood Halt on 28th August 1988, and Chris Walton thought it was Jim too. Brian Thomas was on 'Ratbag' on the same day.
Captain Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Barton wrote:
Does anyone know if 45110's frames are capable of taking the sloping throatplate boiler or does the aforementioned picture answer the question.

Cheers Dave

She may have been converted, unlikely that you can find or get permission to alter an NRM loco, which is preserved because of it's orginal condition!!
Dave Barton

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5000 is in far from original condition fitted with a 21 element boiler for a start.
See LMS LOCOMOTIVE PROFILES No.5 for a list of differences and a nice picture which seems to be on platform 2 road at Bridgnorth. The picture of 5000 is on page 104 and I think you will agree she does look fine.

Dave
Captain Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Barton wrote:
5000 is in far from original condition fitted with a 21 element boiler for a start.
See LMS LOCOMOTIVE PROFILES No.5 for a list of differences and a nice picture which seems to be on platform 2 road at Bridgnorth. The picture of 5000 is on page 104 and I think you will agree she does look fine.

Dave

Point is taken on that, as well as the lac of Vac pump if you would like to start being a purist. I was meaning more of the lack of a 'domed' boiler, ie original GW style top feed arrangement. Obviously any loco which had run for 30+ years is hardly going to be in 'original' condition.
Dave Barton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me a purist no way

By implying boiler in original condition I thought you were saying that she still had an original 14 element superheater boiler, as you say many things would have been altered/improved over the years.

Cheers Dave
Captain Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that was what I meant, as you are probably aware a lot of locos had increases in superheat as time went on, I meant more from a outside appearance I suppose. A lot of locos which are preserved to carry a lot of modifications which were done in big four and nationalisation days, some for safety reasons.
Anyway ending my view, there is still no way, or point or reason for 5000 to be restored again, now or in the near future. The SVR has its 'own' Black 5 to overhaul again shortly, the better one....
Alex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The best hope 5000 has is a railway or group offering to restore the loco for use on their line or ever mainline on behalf of NRM, i would much rather see that than it forever sit cold.

Alex
Captain Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
Hi

The best hope 5000 has is a railway or group offering to restore the loco for use on their line or ever mainline on behalf of NRM, i would much rather see that than it forever sit cold.

Alex

It's hardly likely for reasons I stated in an earlier post, the loco is very tired and there are plenty of other Black Fives available for repair or operation. The National Railway Museum should have a representative on display at all times of one of the most succesful designs of all time.
jackson_p

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 40 years ago today since the loco arrived on the Valley on the 19 November 1977 from the NRM national collection.
5000 was then overhauled at Bridgnorth and entered SVR traffic during June 1979.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: