SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SVR News
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob22

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: SVR News Reply with quote

when does the next svr news come out be relieved to know
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very same question was being asked a day or so ago at BN.

At least its consistent!

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
terry-moore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: SVR NEWS Reply with quote

Isn't it time that the directors looked very carefully at the constant delays in publishing the SVR news.

The editor has done a great job over the years and it must be a pretty thankless task, however it is the main link between the Railway and the membership and the members have a right to expect four issues in Spring,Summer, Autumn & Winter. This certainly has not happened for a long time.

Perhaps it is time to have a total re-think. If the editor, for whatever reason, is unable to produce the magazines on time, it may be time to hand over the reigns to someone who can, even if it means emloying someone on a 'paid' basis.

If something isn't done soon, the decline in membership will continue.
michaelh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: SVR NEWS Reply with quote

terry-moore wrote:
Isn't it time that the directors looked very carefully at the constant delays in publishing the SVR news.

The editor has done a great job over the years and it must be a pretty thankless task, however it is the main link between the Railway and the membership and the members have a right to expect four issues in Spring,Summer, Autumn & Winter. This certainly has not happened for a long time.

Perhaps it is time to have a total re-think. If the editor, for whatever reason, is unable to produce the magazines on time, it may be time to hand over the reigns to someone who can, even if it means emloying someone on a 'paid' basis.

If something isn't done soon, the decline in membership will continue.

It is difficult to avoid the conclusion that the delays/missing issues/out of date content have contributed to the decline in membership numbers
stourboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the fact that a mag usually comes out just before or just after the ASG, hence no pics or details about the gala and is therefore out of date!

I would be quite happy to help out with the magazine if needed.
GWR5764PT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lates SVR news was delayed because the GM left on the day it was due to be sent to the printers. I agree about the timing of publication maybe there should be an assistant editor so they can step into the breach if necesary.
dbrattan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here!
dbrattan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dbrattan on Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
dbrattan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here!
I'm_a_Heritage_DMU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's finally arrived. Virtually nothing about the GMs departure and seemingly no attempt to write an alternative to the Gms notes.
GWR5764PT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm_a_Heritage_DMU wrote:
It's finally arrived. Virtually nothing about the GMs departure and seemingly no attempt to write an alternative to the Gms notes.

I am quite diapointed with the lack of information regarding the GMs departure Mad Sad
heap_r

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, what more do we need to know about the GM's departure, other than the fact that he's gone?

If you were Colin, would you like your "failings" publicised in detail?

Writing an alternative to the GM's notes would have delayed the publication further still, a lose-lose situation.
stourboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recieved my copy today. More people moaning about all-diesel weekends, with the editor saying that 90% of people come to see steam only, which I think is ridiculous, and saying that sports fans wouldnt be seen dead at a heritage railway - that's also rubbish as well!
cherry_p

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stourboy wrote:
Recieved my copy today. More people moaning about all-diesel weekends, with the editor saying that 90% of people come to see steam only, which I think is ridiculous, !

The 90% of visitors at weekends who are not railway enthusiasts don't know 1 steam loco from another, or for that matter 1 diesel from another. Many don't seem to mind if there is a diesel on the front of the train -- after all, you can't see what's pulling it, but they DO expect to see some steam locos in use. Their perception is that if they just wanted to look at diesels, they would go to New street. The fact that they would be relatively unlikely to see them there these days would not occur to them. We WOULD get complaints if no steam was running when they turn up -- they wouldn't all think to check if it was a special weekend. To run all-diesel on the Thursday and Friday will keep the diesel-only fans happy, without upsetting the '90%' who wouldn't expect anything to be running on those days, and wouldn't come.
stourboy wrote:
saying that sports fans wouldnt be seen dead at a heritage railway - that's also rubbish as well!
I think you've misread his comment in the mag -- what he is saying is that there are SOME people whose interest is 100% sport, to the exclusion of everything else, including railways.
mick_wilson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heap_r wrote:
To be honest, what more do we need to know about the GM's departure, other than the fact that he's gone?

If you were Colin, would you like your "failings" publicised in detail?
I'm not sure people want to know his "failings" but it might be nice to know how someone so unsuited got chosen by our board from the many many applicants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: