SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great Western Takeover: 05 to 07 May 2018
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> SVR Special Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWR5764PT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Great Western Takeover: 05 to 07 May 2018 Reply with quote

From SVR Website:

'King Edward II makes its last appearance on the Railway during the May Bank Holiday!

As a farewell to King Edward the blue engine, No. 6023 will be in service from May 5th - 7th, alongside other members of our GWR fleet (subject to availability).

Timetable B will be in operation on all three days with three steam and one diesel service.

More information to follow.

Normal fares
Adult / Senior
Child / Member
Family
Pre-book & save
£19.50 £13.00 £55.00
On the day
£21.00
£14.00
£59.00
Other information

Annual Family Pass valid. Children: 4 - 15 years, Family: 2 adults + 2, 3 or 4 children, Seniors: 60+.
To qualify for 'pre-book & save' prices these tickets must be purchased at least five working days in advance of your visit. Tickets may also be purchased at the same price by calling 01562 757900 (option 1). These tickets are not available for purchase from booking offices in advance.
All pre-booked tickets are subject to a £1.75 booking fee.
These tickets include FREE admission to The Engine House, our Visitor Centre at Highley.
TICKETS WILL BE DISPATCHED BY POST.'

http://www.svr.co.uk/MeetTheLoco.aspx?id=26

http://www.svr.co.uk/pdf/SVR%20Diesel%20Roster%20Feb%20-%20Jun%202018.pdf

Shame they only have a 50 on one of the three days in the diesel slot, I think it would be an excellent opportunity to have a western and if its ready the warship as well.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday's TN has 43106, Class 50, 6023 and 7802. 1450 ob FE

Patrick
GWR5764PT

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame they can't get 7714 on BN1 or get the Warship out in one of the diesel diagrams. The confirmed locomotives for the week ahead are on the svr.co.uk website, http://www.svr.co.uk/MeetTheLoco.aspx?id=120
Sheila K

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have liked to have seen 813 double-heading with 1450, or 1501. Whilst I like the flying pig, it's hardly GWR. I don't like diesels at all, but still think it's a shame that a GWR Diesel isn't being used. It is advertised as a Great Western takeover weekend after all. Maybe I expected too much!
sharpo

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the state of play for the rest of the weekend?

Looking at http://www.svr.co.uk/News.aspx

"Latest News

The best place for updates and up-to-the minute information

Don't get left behind!"

http://www.svr.co.uk/SEItem.aspx?a=127

Great Western Takeover
King Edward II makes its last appearance on the Railway during the May Bank Holiday!

As a farewell to King Edward the blue engine, No. 6023 will be in service from May 5th - 7th, alongside other members of our GWR fleet (subject to availability).

QUESTION. As nothing has been changed does it mean the King will be running? or is it a case of subject to availability? Certainly wasn't the best place for updates and up-to-the minute information today.

Check the blog for all the latest sightings, photos or videos:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Or links from calendar -
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/?page_id=5050
Lench_S

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can find out the plan for Sunday and Monday (maybe won't know until tomorrow) I will post it here. Hope that helps.
sharpo

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lench_S wrote:
If I can find out the plan for Sunday and Monday (maybe won't know until tomorrow) I will post it here. Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Or links from calendar -
Lench_S

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the King is not expected to run again this weekend. On Sunday at least, Taw Valley will take it's place on BS2. No other changes I'm aware of.

Various reasons for failing the King have been quoted unofficially. Perhaps there is chance a repair can be made for Monday, fingers crossed.
Sheila K

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradley Manor did the best to try and take over the Railway on Sunday, but very difficult to do on your own! I understand that the King is broken, but, seriously, did they advertise a GWR takeover with just 2 engines? Strikes me, someone made a decision to try and get a special event going just before the King was due back, and no one thought to follow it up and make it happen! Doesn't show the SVR in a very good light!
sharpo

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people read every word on a page?

http://www.svr.co.uk/SEItem.aspx?a=127

In black and white it says:-

"The following locomotives will be in service:

Class 50 (May 5th & 6th) or Class 33 No. 33108 (May 7th): 9.45am & 1.48pm from Kidderminster, 11.50am & 4.00pm from Bridgnorth.
No. 6023 King Edward II: 10.25am & 2.25pm from Kidderminster, 12.40pm & 4.50pm from Bridgnorth.
No. 7802 Bradley Manor: 11.10am & 3.25pm from Kidderminster, 1.30pm & 5.40pm from Bridgnorth.
No. 43106: 11.00am & 3.10pm from Bridgnorth, 12.45pm & 5.10pm from Kidderminster."

Now it would also be right to say further up the page it says:-

"*** Service Update *** Unfortunately, No. 6023 King Edward II failed in service today 5/5/18 and will not be in steam tomorrow 6/5/18. We will try and fix the locomotive as soon as possible, but we are unable to confirm whether or not the engine will continue running over the rest of the Bank Holiday. Our fingers are crossed!"

Wouldn't it have been better to state the loco that WOULD have been working and not showing 6023? I wonder if any people turned up expecting the King to be running?

Or links from calendar -
GWR5764PT

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame more GWR engines couldn't this weekend though I do feel sorry for the locomotive department.
Lench_S

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila K wrote:
Bradley Manor did the best to try and take over the Railway on Sunday, but very difficult to do on your own!

Not forgetting BR Built but GWR designed 1501 working the diner!
Derby4

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to sharpo's post above, the traffic information section of SVRLive still shows the King working Sunday and Monday.
This sort of information should be updated promptly.
cherry_p

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
Further to sharpo's post above, the traffic information section of SVRLive still shows the King working Sunday and Monday.
This sort of information should be updated promptly.
This section of SVRLive always shows the PLAN as it is on the Friday, and doesn't normally get updated. Perhaps it should emphasise this.
The info on the svr.co.uk does get updated as far as possible, but even this can't be guaranteed.
Divington_R

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Western Leftover perhaps?

Well, I would not fancy being part of the sales & marketing team this morning. Expect a justifiable flogging from Ďsirí and the Operations dept.

This was billed as a special event but why when it was a bank holiday weekend and good passenger loadings should be the norm? Should have been promoted in a different and much better way.

It was too risky selling a 3 day special event based too heavily on 1 King class loco and that was to come true out on Saturday. How much did this hurt the profit margins and the SVRís reputation?

Note to Marketing - must try thinking more sensibly in future.

May I suggest some old fashioned telephone directories are strategically placed in readiness for your justifiably deserved flogging! Don't let it happen again !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> SVR Special Events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: