SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spring Steam Gala: 16 to 18 March 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> SVR Special Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe2027

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
It's bitterly cold today, strong wind as well, not ideal for filming, spent more time in Kidder museum than outside. Think my zoom finger froze earlier, it was so numb I couldn't tell if l was operating the zoom button on the camcorder.

All trains seem to be running well, don't think I'll be late home today

It was all right at Bewdley Stn, and at the foot crossing just to the north of the stn. I think the bank at the side of Bewdley stn was acting as a wind break. The same being in a cutting at the foot crossing it was only a light wind, but the trees on the top of cutting were rustling like mad. I did notice when I got back to SVR Kidderminster Stn there was a stiff bitter cold wind, blowing down the whole length of the platform. I only stayed about half an hour and went to the chippy.
sharpo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe2027 wrote:
sharpo wrote:
It's bitterly cold today, strong wind as well, not ideal for filming, spent more time in Kidder museum than outside. Think my zoom finger froze earlier, it was so numb I couldn't tell if l was operating the zoom button on the camcorder.

All trains seem to be running well, don't think I'll be late home today

It was all right at Bewdley Stn, and at the foot crossing just to the north of the stn. I think the bank at the side of Bewdley stn was acting as a wind break. The same being in a cutting at the foot crossing it was only a light wind, but the trees on the top of cutting were rustling like mad. I did notice when I got back to SVR Kidderminster Stn there was a stiff bitter cold wind, blowing down the whole length of the platform. I only stayed about half an hour and went to the chippy.

Think I'll be a wimp and stay at home today. Just walked the dog around the park and that was an effort, several inches on average, but clear in places and deep drifts in others. Filming yesterday wasn't exactly "fun" and today would probably be the same, not to mention the Sunday infrequent service and the slip and slide to walk to my local station.

Anyway, for all who go, wrap up well and enjoy your day.

Ha! First stopper down the Dark Side delayed. West Midlands Trains site says:-

"Due to a fault with the signalling system at Birmingham Moor Street:
Impact:
Train services running through this station may be cancelled or delayed. Disruption is expected until 11:00 18/03. "

Check the blog for all the latest sightings, photos or videos:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Or links from calendar -
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/?page_id=5050

Last edited by sharpo on Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:26 am; edited 2 times in total
jackson_p

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A snapshot summary of the weather in the UK and its effect on train services at this point in time.

1. SVR

Extract from the SVR website [published 18 March 2018, 09:45 am].
http://www.svr.co.uk/NewsItem.aspx?a=825

Despite the snow, we plan to run as scheduled today 18/03/18 Very Happy

This is a snapshot extract from the main SVR web site and is not necessarily updated to reflect change. Always refer back to and check the main web site to confirm details are still correct.

2. Elsewhere

Extract from National Rail website [published 18 March 2018, 09:45 am].
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

An amber warning is in place across parts of the UK.

Train companies affected: Arriva Trains Wales, CrossCountry, East Midlands Trains, Gatwick Express, Great Northern, Great Western Railway, Heathrow Connect, Heathrow Express, Hull Trains, Island Line, Northern, South Western Railway, Southern, Thameslink, TransPennine Express.

This is a snapshot extract from an external web site and is not necessarily updated to reflect change. Always refer back to and check the external web site to confirm details are still correct.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a post on FB this morning. The volunteer to light up the locos at Bewdley was stuck in Somerset and so two others stepped in headed out at 0300 to a third gala lighting up turn, having done the two previous ones. Respect to all those who have made the gala possible.

Patrick
Joe2027

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
I saw a post on FB this morning. The volunteer to light up the locos at Bewdley was stuck in Somerset and so two others stepped in headed out at 0300 to a third gala lighting up turn, having done the two previous ones. Respect to all those who have made the gala possible.

Patrick

Well done, very dedicated.
Sheila K

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big vote of thanks to all staff (paid and otherwise) who managed to turn out this weekend and keep the gala running. Hopefully, enough passengers made the effort to get there, so that it's not losing money. Fantastic effort with the weather as it was by all staff. I hope other passengers also appreciated all the effort made. Only real problem I experienced was a distinct lack of any steam heating on every train I took on Saturday. Don't know if it just wasn't connected, or not working - better on Sunday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> SVR Special Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: