SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a radio silence?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny252

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, the vast majority of people do already have a Facebook account, but most don't have a forum account - and it's quite a lot more roundabout to register here than for Facebook! I simply click a button to join a Facebook group; here I have to delve into the forum help and email someone to send me a link to submit my registration request that they can then approve...

Additionally, a Facebook account gives access to a much wider variety of railway discussion than any single forum. Just about every preserved line has their own Facebook group, and there's several hundred special interest groups related to any area of railways that you want - there's probably a Facebook group dedicated to sharing black and white photos of Mark 2F TSO coaches built on a Thursday which had windows washed by a bloke named Charlie, if that's what takes your fancy.
Sheila K

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because the vast majority of people do or have something does not necessarily make it a good thing. I can't imagine ever having a Facebook account, as I already have a life! Then again, I also refuse to use Google as my search engine, because everyone says "just google it" and I refuse. I am my own person, and can find enough things to occupy my time without taking pictures of my food before I eat it and posting them of Facebook for others with no imagination to comment on.
Websites I can understand, Facebook no!
Divington_R

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All, just to repeat something I said last weekend -

Divington_R wrote:
I will stay with this forum. Long may it continue.
(hope I have managed to edit the quote successfully!).
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion that Facebook would be the best place to contact the people who are not posting on this forum was an attempt at ironic humour.
Sadly, I fear that the comment that "any idiot with a Facebook account can post on there [the Official SVR Facebook Page]", from someone who is unable to see it, was not.

Last edited by Graham on Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Divington_R

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a radio silence? Reply with quote

Divington_R wrote:
A general question.

I have noticed the forum has become pretty quiet over recent times. Where has everybody gone? Is there now another place to talk?
The same question arises again!

Is there another forum somewhere?
sharpo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reg,

I rely on the Traffic Notices and Working Timetables, also "Meet the Loco" and realtime trains. If I hear any "gossip" when I'm out and about, then that's a bonus.

Sharpo.

Check the blog for all the latest sightings, photos or videos:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Or links from calendar -
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/?page_id=5050
d431hood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its just that most people are on facebook. Along with most of the traffic.

While you have to log in, its only once to access all the interest groups you like rather than each one having its own log in. On here all I can discuss is the SVR. On facebook, I can discuss the SVR, Photography, Cars, Planes, stamps, books, cooking and only log in once for all of it. I can also keep my posting private and stop people seeing them if I want down to high degrees of granularity.

So yes you have log in but everyone on there has logged in and I think I'm right in saying that there are more than three times as many people on the svr facebook pages than there are on here.
Fifty Fund Chairman, Sales Officer & Deputy Under Webmaster
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find the original comment that I read on Facebook recently, but it went something like "The SVR Facebook group is full of people sharing information about the railway. The SVR forum is a few people asking questions about the railway, which mostly go unanswered."
I would add to that that when questions do get answered, it's usually by referencing something that was posted on Facebook the day before.

I like both. Facebook is more immediate and versatile. For example, while typing this I just got a notification that the cover photo of the Somerset & Dorset Locomotive Co. Ltd has been updated. I can now choose to ignore it or click it and have a look.
The forum is better organised though. There's a thread for each gala and locomotive and many other major topics, and all the information on that one subject is in one place.
Bill Creasey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, the monthly newsletters at the start of the month are a source of information, last month even a picture of 75069's boiler. Monthly newsletters can be found on the header of SVRlive and then subscribed to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: