SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wickham Trolleys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> Motive Power - Diesel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JFlood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Wickham Trolleys Reply with quote

Can any body provide a status on the three Wickham trolleys (Works Nos. 1580, 7690 & 8085) and the three Wickham trolleys dismantled to unpowered trailers (Works Nos. 5019, 6653 & 7577)? Who owns and is responsible for these vehicles?
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unsure of thier status but I think they are very rarely used. I would guess probably because you can't carry a great deal of kit on them.

Now when Ced's DVT enters service I'd guess there'll be even less need for them.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
barton_d2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bewdley P-Way have been waiting for over two years for the procedure and paperwork inorder to train up new Wickham drivers. We had reached the point where we only had one approved volunteer based at Bewdley and he was not available for most of the time. Now that we have received the appropriate paperwork we have started to discuss having a training programme to enable a number of the Bewdley team to meet to the footplate requirements for engineering block working.
We have been using the Wickham about once or twice a year. Some work is required on our trolley to bring it up to the standards that we would like it to be in for regular use.
I anticipate we shall be using it again in June this year at the Junior Apprentices fundraising walk. On this occasion the driver will be either our one trained driver, if he is available, or one of the Bridgnorth volunteers. I understand the walk this year will be from Kidderminster to Bewdley and concluding with a bar-b-que at Bewdley. I can assure you all that the Wickham at Bewdley is a very useful tool and we will be delighted to have it back in service. It is more than capable of meeting our kit carrying needs and is capable of towing our goods vehicle when required, although it has not done so for a number of years.
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I'm sure JFlood will be grateful for the info. Its nice to know that we are getting ,at least, some use out of the Wickhams.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
JFlood

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update barton_d2. I'm glad to hear that at least one of the Wickhams is getting some use. Can you confirm the Works Number of the Bewdley Wickham? Also do you or anyone else know what is happening with the other Wickhams?
mick_wilson

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFlood wrote:
Can you confirm the Works Number of the Bewdley Wickham? Also do you or anyone else know what is happening with the other Wickhams?
Have we got a Wickham gricer in our midst?
JFlood

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a Wickham gricer, just someone fed up of seeing these useful assets rotting away or even being scrapped on many preserved lines in this country. Wickham is a much undersung manufacturer, whose products are still in daily use all over the world despite many being well over 40 years old. If you get a moment I can recommend reading the book about the company published by the Rockingham Press.
JFlood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently been informed by the Railway that there are now plans for all the Wickham trolleys on the railway. Excellent news, I look forward to seeing progress in returning them to working order.
pearson_p

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bewdley based trolley is already in use, and has made several Sunday morning trips down to Kidderminster to collect stone chippings for packing sleepers.
JFlood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to hear that Type 27 Mk III, Work Number 8085, is in regular use.

For those who are interested / involved with the Wickhams at the SVR, I am pleased advise that I have recently launched a Yahoo! Discussion Group on the web about all things “Wickham”.

The group can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WickhamofWare

Is there any news on the two other "complete" Wickhams - Type 17, Works Number 1580, off track near Hampton Loade and Type 17A, Work Number 7690 at Bewdley?
JFlood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: SVR Wickhams Reply with quote

Just a quick note to let you know that two of the SVR's Wickhams are on the front page of the http://www.ontrackplant.com/ website at the moment. The website is having a Wickham Month alongside the recent launch of the Wickham Yahoo! Discussion Group. It would be good to have someone from the SVR join the Yahoo! Group as we are trying to ensure there is a representative on the Group for each Wickham in the UK.
JFlood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: SVr Wickhams Reply with quote

Congratulations to all the team at Highley (Martin Thomas, Tony Clifton & Julie Smith). I note that on Page 29 of the Autumn Issue of the Severn Valley Railway News, there is a picture of Works No. 1580 in fully restored condition under the title "A Highley Project"

Perhaps the SVR Management will let the same team restore the out of
use Type 17A trolley, Works Number 7690, which is currently stored at
Bewdley. Very Happy
hearn_p

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Railway Magazine June 2010 reports The Railcar Association are holding their annual convention at the SVR on 8/9 Oct. Bewdley pw is hoping to run its Type 27A Wickham ganger's trolley from BY to HY for a rendezvous there with Highley’s own recently restored trolley.

Patrick
sharpo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a photo of Wickham 8085 as I passed by on the train. Looking very smart!

Taken on 03/01/13

Check the blog for all the latest sightings, photos or videos:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Or links from calendar -
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/?page_id=5050
Robin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SVR Wiki has details and pictures of 5 trolleys:

*1580 and trailer 5019 at Highley (operational)
*8085 and trailer 7577 at Bewdley (operational)
*7690 at Highley (awaitng restoration)

The original post in 2006 above mentions another trailer, 6653. Does anyone have any info on whether this still exists or has been scrapped?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> Motive Power - Diesel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: