SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old Northwood Cottage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Old Northwood Cottage Reply with quote

Does anyone know the history of Old Northwood Cottage, the stone cottage between the railway and Northwood Lane?
It's got that well built railway look about it and it's right alongside the railway, so it certainly looks like a railway building.
The wooden extension and the window on the wall facing the road look like later alterations to turn it in to a house. If so, what was its original purpose?

The cottage on Google Street View
Peter Share

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Northwood Cottage Reply with quote

Guesswork only.
Could it have been one of the old "one up, one down" gangers cottages.
I have vague memories of going to one near Bridgnorth with my uncle and aunt in the mid 1950s. At that time it was still gas lit and "cosy"

Peter Share
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

300+ views and no positive information.
Ganger's cottage sounds possible, especially if you've seen one similar elsewhere on the line.

If the line had been built double track, as originally planned, then there would have had to be a remote junction with the Tenbury Line, not at Bewdley Station as it is now, as Wribbenhall Viaduct is only double track width.
Is it possible that it was built as a signal box, then converted for other use as it wasn't needed?
Its position would have offered a good view of trains approaching the junction from all three directions.
Danny252

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlikely to be a signal box I'd have thought, as they were only built in the 1870/1880s, whilst the Tenbury & Bewdley Railway was completed in 1864. A signal box being built "just in case" seems unlikely to me, as they weren't the most difficult of things to build, coming in standard shapes and sizes. If they were planning to double the line, they'd still have to wait for the track to be laid anyway.

The building also doesn't strike me as resembling a signal box, other than having four walls and a roof!
oldsteamer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember this 'cottage' being empty for a good number of years and thinking it would be a good place to live for someone who liked steam trains. Whoever bought it must have spent a fortune making it habitable again together with having a water supply provided as I belive there was none. I also seem to remember someone digging out the embankment for some reason and being told in no uncertain terms to stop.
porter_s

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it wouuld have been the Crossing Keeper's Cottage
sharpo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossing Cottage by Northwood Halt looks quite similar?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.3943237,-2.3272557,3a,75y,327.07h,93.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s709kqVTZDKyZTW2inbku4g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

http://beta.buildingstones.org.uk/search/nprn/site1089

Regarding Old Northwood Cottage, the site gives 1858 as the date building was commenced, completed in 1862. Don't know how accurate that is.

http://beta.buildingstones.org.uk/search/nprn/site1131

Check the blog for all the latest sightings, photos or videos:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Or links from calendar -
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/?page_id=5050
Danny252

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
Regarding Old Northwood Cottage, the site gives 1858 as the date building was commenced, completed in 1862. Don't know how accurate that is.

http://beta.buildingstones.org.uk/search/nprn/site1131

And that site does claim "1858 [with building of railway]."
porter_s wrote:
I believe it wouuld have been the Crossing Keeper's Cottage

Looking on the 1884 OS maps, there is a minor crossing, but it doesn't seem much more than a footpath. However, I do know that the crossing at Eardington summit was also manned at one date, and that's definitely not an area of heavy traffic (although presumably it was more so when the ironworks were open).
Bryan Clarke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that Eardington crossing was on a 'coffin route', the nearest church being on the east side of the river. At one time the cottage was the residence of the Eardington SM, who walked the line to the station.

Maybe the cottage in question has a similar historical background. There are some original plans for the railway in existance, which detail most structures associated with the building of the line. I do not have them to hand at present, but will check them out when I get the chance.
Graham

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me more about these original plans of which you speak.
Do you have them or do you just have access to them?
Would it be possible to copy them for use on the wiki?
Bryan Clarke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
Tell me more about these original plans of which you speak.
Do you have them or do you just have access to them?
Would it be possible to copy them for use on the wiki?

Graham. Have sent you a pm.
Robin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A blast from the past.

The GWR plan states that there was an occupation level crossing next to the cottage, so the suggestion of a crossing keeper's cottage looks likely. However the 'road' only led into two fields with no buildings, so was presumably for agricultural use only.

The land is shown as owned by Charles Sturge who lived at Summer House, Bewdley. There is information on him here including references to the Severn Valley Railway.
Graham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the name 'Sturge' and 'Summer House' sounded familiar.
The plan of Bewdley shows 18 1⁄2 poles of land being sold to Charles Sturge in 1860 with a footbridge from that land to Summer Hill, presumably the location of Summer House.
This was yet another one of my questions raised by the plans; even if the GWR retrospectively added their name to any deals done by the the SVRC or WMR, why were they selling land in the area before the railway was built?
Also, compare this with the 1878 agreement regarding the piers and land for Falling Sands Viaduct which simply mentions the "Ry Co" and "Canal Co" without specifying which railway
Robin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
I thought the name 'Sturge' and 'Summer House' sounded familiar.
The plan of Bewdley shows 18 1⁄2 poles of land being sold to Charles Sturge in 1860 with a footbridge from that land to Summer Hill, presumably the location of Summer House.
This was yet another one of my questions raised by the plans; even if the GWR retrospectively added their name to any deals done by the the SVRC or WMR, why were they selling land in the area before the railway was built?
The page on Sturge suggests that the land on which the railway was built at Bewdley was bought in 1857, “the company paying £3,850 compensation for a mile of land and providing a private footpath and bridge”. Presumably the land sold in 1860 was to give access from the footbridge to Northwood lane; by then the line at Bewdley was substantially complete and that bit of land would not have been needed for the railway.

However there are a couple of oddities. As you say, why would the GWR be shown as having sold it on 6 June 1860 when they had no involvement with the Severn Valley Railway at that stage? For context, the lease of the SVR to the OWW / West Midland Railway did not take place until 14/16 June 1860 and the GWR did not take over the WMR until August 1863.

Also the footbridge was presumably built at that time and appears on the OS Map of 1884. However Marshall refers to the GWR engineering committee authorising girder work on the footbridge in March 1892. Seems odd that work would have been required on it at that stage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: