SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bridgnorth Station redevelopment: 2012 onwards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryan Clarke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madderlake wrote:
What I find surprising is that the job can be done with a grassed 'batter' providing an amphitheatre. I thought a retaining wall was going to be needed. Mind you, in the flesh, a 30 degree slope looks flippin steep.

My guess is that below the weathered profile, the ground is sandstone, there is evidence of this on site. If the discontinuities are favourable there should be no problem with a 30 degree slope as long as its height is limited. A colleague of mine sent some ideas he has been harboring since the turntable was originally rescued. Probably too late now - although it's never too late until the fat lady sings. What about this:

"No one, on the forum at least, seems to have seen the potential that jumped out at me many years ago. If the field behind the wood pile between the cottage and the main water tank hedge was dug out to yard levels and the turntable sited within it is perfect for building a roundhouse around the turntable. It would have minimal visual disruption to the neighbours as it would only really be seen from the yard and footbridge. The running fleet would then be under cover and the existing shed and yard would be for maintenance and overhaul work".

Anybody have any views. The construction could be two part. 1. Excavation and installation of the turntable. 2. Later construction on the previously excavated site of a 5 - x road roundhouse.
hunter_i

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://svrbridgnorth.wordpress.com/2018/03/25/drinks-on-the-terrace/

Great idea for a roundhouse, but not sure what you mean by the main water tank hedge. If you mean an area on the north side of the new turntable site, the heading picture in the link above to the Bridgnorth Facebook page (if it works), suggests the land rises very steeply in that direction.

Such major excavation would require extensive retaining walls and would change the contours of the field so dramatically, that there could be serious planning objections. That is why I suggested a second best option of a single road shed along the back of the workshop building. But if the roundhouse was essentially submerged in the field that idea is worth investigating. Would be unique attraction at the Station.

It is kind of ironic that originally the first priority of new heritage railways was an engine shed (think Titfield Thunderbolt). But because engines are metal and carriages more fragile, the SVR priorities make sense. Since there is already the Engine House for undercover storage, unfortunately, I see no apparent enthusiasm for cover for the service fleet. I did earlier suggest an extension of the workshop with a carport style roof, but no doubt English Heritage would object as obstructing the view of Pan Pudding Hill!
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter_i wrote:
https://svrbridgnorth.wordpress.com/2018/03/25/drinks-on-the-terrace/

Great idea for a roundhouse, but not sure what you mean by the main water tank hedge. If you mean an area on the north side of the new turntable site, the heading picture in the link above to the Bridgnorth Facebook page (if it works), suggests the land rises very steeply in that direction.

Such major excavation would require extensive retaining walls and would change the contours of the field so dramatically, that there could be serious planning objections. That is why I suggested a second best option of a single road shed along the back of the workshop building. But if the roundhouse was essentially submerged in the field that idea is worth investigating. Would be unique attraction at the Station.

It is kind of ironic that originally the first priority of new heritage railways was an engine shed (think Titfield Thunderbolt). But because engines are metal and carriages more fragile, the SVR priorities make sense. Since there is already the Engine House for undercover storage, unfortunately, I see no apparent enthusiasm for cover for the service fleet. I did earlier suggest an extension of the workshop with a carport style roof, but no doubt English Heritage would object as obstructing the view of Pan Pudding Hill!
There have been a number of sugestions which whilst maybe good for the railway may not be welcomed by the conservationists. Yours is the first to mention English Heritage and note that Pan Pudding Hill is a listed ancient monument. Tread warily.
madderlake

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An underground roundhouse eh, erm... pi in the sky? Remember large articulated lorries still have to get to the coal store. Currently they have a considerable struggle to turn round in the yard between the tracks and the cottage so that they can get back out past the shed. One ideas is that they could be turned on the turntable, though it looks as though they would have to reverse on, and reverse off.
Bryan Clarke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madderlake wrote:
An underground roundhouse eh, erm... pi in the sky? Remember large articulated lorries still have to get to the coal store. Currently they have a considerable struggle to turn round in the yard between the tracks and the cottage so that they can get back out past the shed. One ideas is that they could be turned on the turntable, though it looks as though they would have to reverse on, and reverse off.

I don't think 'underground roundhouse' was what was intended. The ground works would allow a standard type roundhouse to be constructed, which would have minimal effect on the surrounding environment. Coal could be delivered by a short conveyor without interfering with the turntable.

There are always solutions to problems if people look for them.
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time you've dug out enough ground for a roundhouse, you might as well go with my earlier suggestion for a triangle in a cutting, which would provide both locomotive turning and run round facilities in one go. Very Happy
hunter_i

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.englishmodelrailways.shop/

In the picture above of the area on the side of the Workshop Building, the new turntable location is immediately to the left of the photographer. The rising ground to the North is quite evident.

However looking at the space available along the side of the Workshop, it does seem feasible to widen that area by cutting back the high ground at least on the right of the fence.

I had previously thought that a single road engine shed might be a practical and cheap option against the side of the Workshop building, but since the photograph appears to show windows down the side, that location is not desirable. Also it would mean demolishing the Oil Store (presumably the building on the right of the photo) and the coal bunker.

Although it is difficult to tell from photographs, since the field tapers down towards the workshop, it may be possible to extend the taper even wider to accommodate an engine shed of at least one road where the fence now is, without interfering with current vehicle access or prohibitive excavation. Once past the choke point caused by the location of the Oil Store, there may even be space for two tracks.

Furthermore, although probably requiring too much excavation, there is the remote possibility of a direct connection to the turntable. However what could be more feasible is to taper the “amphitheater” around the turntable so that the potential engine shed is also visible. This would improve the ascetics of the site by limiting the extent of the rather strange bank circling the turntable, and ensure a more authentic heritage appearance. I believe it was not uncommon for small steam sheds to have a turntable nearby.

It will be noted from the photo of the original Kidderminster Engine Shed that it was very basic, and it would therefore be historically correct to reproduce a similar structure of plain walls and roof, and containing either one or two roads. In practice a contemporary metal prefab farm building may even suffice. This option would have the advantage of being cheap, would be similar in appearance to the modern Workshop Building, and is the option being pursued for the wagon storage shed.

As noted in a previous post, the proposed engine shed would be unobtrusive and its appearance would not matter greatly.

So to summarise, while a turntable would require extensive evacuation and significant building costs, a basic farm shed instillation may only involve some widening of the existing bank beside the workshop. Also this could economically be done as part of the turntable works and would not disturb any existing infrastructure.

I should mention one final scenario. Adding the option of including an Engine Shed with the turntable instillation could justify a separate fundraising exercise. An engine shed has been long sought after by many supporters of the Railway, and is now only possible due to the additional expense incurred in moving the turntable site. So a combination appeal could attract support.

If in fact there was a significant degree of nostalgia for the small branch line engine shed with the traditional roof smoke deflectors, side windows and the wooden doors of childhood memory, then a more heritage style shed could be considered. I have attached a link to a modelling website showing various examples (click on buildings/engine sheds).

A more attractive shed design could also be desirable if the Railway intends to make greater use of the fields adjoining the new car park, as for example for Farmers Markets or special events. If more visitors are encourage to visit the field meadow for walks or picnics, or admire the view from Pan Pudding Hill, then they could also be tempted to visit the Cottage (an excellent location for a museum on railway life and the real Railway Children), and check out the turntable site and the engines visible through the shed windows.

Just a thought.

Last edited by hunter_i on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bryan Clarke

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Hunter_i for a series of well considered ideas.

I notice that the exposed ground in photo 1 indicates a heavily weathered profile together with material that has historically moved down slope. Also worth noting is that the slope angle in this area of the lower slope is fairly shallow, probably around 30 degrees, which reduces the volume of material requiring removal. If this removed material from the ground works could be 'placed' on site, costs would be considerably reduced.

Sometimes it requires a leap of faith and a view into the future to ensure potential opportunities are not lost forever. Often in life a missed chance is a chance lost forever. Maybe this is one such case or do people really not consider the working fleet deserves some protection if the opportunity presents itself.

I for one would happily contribute to such a project.
hunter_i

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/419070848534237/photos/pcb.575021069605880/575019846272669/?type=3&theater

Three sets of new photos posted on Facebook. Exterior woks virtually complete with still almost a month to Christmas!

Impressed with the energy of the volunteers.
Robin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVRLive has a update from the GM. Selected quotes: "The SVR is very close to taking possession of the Refreshment Room and Toilet Building at Bridgnorth from the Contractor." "Next week will see the removal from site of all contractors’ cabins and remaining materials."

https://www.svrlive.com/bridgnorth-development
Derby4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further images on Facebook ( scroll on from the link in the previous post above) posted today showing concrete being poured north of the boiler shop at the foot crossing.

Rob
batchacremike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Bridgnorth Station Redevelopment: 2012 Onwards Reply with quote

At last the site is clear of Iris. The building looks really good (as it should with the excessive time spent on it) I hope it’s not also excessive money and I hope shareholders will get sight of the report to discover what went wrong.

The area outside the boiler shop also looks great after reinforced concrete had been layed around the two access tracks fior a distance if about 35 metres.

Work was also underway this morning (Saturday) laying the tarmac on the access road to the car park. The car park surface itself is about 80% complete. It was excavated to about 2 feet deep, a membrane placed on the soil then covered with ballast, then another membrane covered with a thin layer of ballast followed by the plastic grids about 2 inches deep then final filled with gravel. There is about 20% of the area left to have the final membrane, grids and gravel. The exit road just requires the final layer of tarmac, at least in the area visible at the bottom of the donkey gallop.

I have to say it is all looking good for the opening of the new season
hunter_i

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of photos of the exterior of the new building and the car park now posted on the Brignorth Station Facebook page. Use the links above, no need to register.

The attention to detail is outstanding and should really impress new visitors.

The Railway has done a fantastic job. I therefore hesitate to make one small suggestion. While the new concrete across the Boiler Shop is also a great improvement and the path down from the new car park also looks great (the brick edging is a nice touch), the old photos I have show a very unattractive "back of house" environment at the station end, of what will be a major entry point for potential passengers.

I assume the Railway already has plans to clean up that area, and hopefully some new fencing will be provided as a finishing touch to screen the containers and sheds.

madderlake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter_i wrote:
Lots of photos of the exterior of the new building and the car park now posted on the Brignorth Station Facebook page. Use the links above, no need to register.

Well I can't see any, and am bombarded at 2 second intervals with messages to register or log in.
hunter_i

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this link

https://www.facebook.com/419070848534237/photos/pcb.587146915059962/587145091726811/?type=3&theater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next
Page 80 of 83

Jump to: