SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bridgnorth Station redevelopment: 2012 onwards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
From https://www.svrlive.com/bridgnorth-development-archive
"In terms of finance, a further 807,000 has been allocated from the 2012 share monies, but there is still a shortfall to complete the first phase. A new share offer will be introduced in November to try and fund the balance of the first phase and also the whole of the second phase. It is hoped to raise 2.5M from this offer..."
Does that mean there is a total of 3.3M available to spend on Phase 1 & Phase 2?

From information given out at the last two SVR(H) AGMs I believe that is broadly the case.
hunter_i

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested, there is a short (10 minute) video on YouTube entitled "Bridgnorth Turntable Project", showing the removal of the Bath Road Turntable and its transport to Eardington Halt on 2/3 April 1998.

It is noteworthy that the frame supporting the decking of the turntable pit was also transported. In view of the shortage of space at Bridgnorth , I wonder if the decking is intended to be reinstalled? This would improve site safety and avoid constant detours around the pit, but there may be maintenance and additional expense issues. However I believe it would be a first in preservation.
madderlake

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
Isn't it a bit odd to start thinking about relocating it now?

People looked at the plans and thought it might be possible to do better. What is wrong with that? The proposed solution requires earthworks that would not lend to it having been obvious as a possibility (and though extensive, actually less than would have been required to stabilise and build up the ground for the originally intended site). I think I was first made aware of the discussion about 6 months ago, by which time I think quite a bit of work had already been done. (I don't move in the kind circles where I would expect to find out early, other than by chance.)

Last edited by madderlake on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with that, it just seemed odd to me that it happened so long after the original plans were drawn up, the money was raised and the planning application was sent in.
If moving the turntable was first discussed, and work started, at least six months ago, was this mentioned anywhere?
Where is the new turntable site? Is there a map available anywhere?
hunter_i

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 25 September advice in SVR Live stated -

"Chris Bond and Alan Davies are also responsible for Phase IIb, the construction of the Turntable pit. The pit location has been revised and is currently subject to a new planning application, costs are also being assessed for remodeling the loco yard at Bridgnorth to accommodate direct access to the turntable and provide space for Platform 2 extension. The renovation of the turntable will be undertaken in conjunction with the owners, the Turntable Fund. A contract for the turntable pit has not been awarded because of the current planning issue and unknown costs".

In view of the planning, renovation and cost issues, and the need to remodel the loco yard, presumably Phase IIb will have to be done in the closed season of Winter 2019/20, in conjunction with Phase III of the Station renovation. Or does anyone know otherwise?

Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter_i wrote:
The 25 September advice in SVR Live stated...​

Err...yes...that's the bit I linked to and quoted from above where I commented that I couldn't find it on the Shropshire Planning web site.
What I meant was, did anyone think to mention this to the shareholders or wider membership, (you know, the people who have paid for it), in the intervening six months?
I'd still be interested to see a map showing the proposed new site, if there is one available.
Robin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was included in David Postle's report in SVR News 202 (Summer), published just over three months ago with the article probably written some weeks before then. Entire paragraph reproduced for completeness:

"The Bridgnorth Project does of course include other phases of work. For the last few months, work has been progressing behind the scenes to complete the designs for the west side of the site - namely the car park, egress road and the turntable. We are currently seeking more firm costs on that part of the project. We have looked at possibly more practical locations for the turntable, but wherever it finally is located, it is likely to be expensive in terms of its groundworks. One reassuring aspect is, however, that there are far fewer parts of the turntable missing than at first thought now a thorough search has been made of the storage sites at Eardington and Bridgnorth. Most of the conditions imposed on the original planning consent concerning development on the west side of the site have also now been dealt with."

The recent additions to the Planning site appear to relate to the last sentence. The latest GM's report implies that a revised application is required, but it may still be in the process of being submitted. I think we have to 'watch this space' for now.
madderlake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the NBI, it said, refering to the turntable, "this element of the plan will be resubmitted", not that it had been. I don't think I was precise enough: 'work' was meant to imply discussion and planning, not diggers. I am not going to risk jumping the gun on the exact location. It's not my job, I don't know if it is finalised yet, and I don't want to invite another round of ill-informed speculation.
batchacremike

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Bridgnorth Station redevelopment: 2012 onwards Reply with quote

I see Derby4 was going to write to the board. I did write about 9 months or more ago asking all the pertinent questions such as is it a fixed price contract etc. I never received a reply. Other shareholders who I met at the time suggested my letter would have been one of many.,
I have repeatedly witnessed a slovenly attitude to the job by the contractors staff and have given examples.
At last we have a good statement from Nick Ralls that lessons will be learnt and a financial settlement will be negotiated, That at least confirms it was not a fixed price contract. I hope the negotiation will be robust from our side and point out in no uncertain terms that the contractors employees spend more time looking at their mobile phones than actulally working.
I welcome Nicks statement although it is well overdue and I certainly want to see the report on the findings.
Having said all that, I do agree that the final job is looking well and credit where it is due.
Yesterday I took the opportunity to look at progress on the car park work and that has progressed well ( then again so did the piling on the refreshment building). The roadway has been excavated to a depth of about 2 feet right up to the corner of the car park. A membrane has been layed and the contractor was back filling with aggregate on Saturday afternoon. A number of trees around the present exit from the field have been felled.
hunter_i

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least in the latest Daily Snapshots there is a sign of progress (top left corner beside doorway).
Derby4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look back 7 days (as of today) on the "daily snapshot" images, you will see a small but well proportioned kiddies "paddling pool", between the southern end of the building and the terrace extension.
I guess that the edging bricks are in place, but the infill with bricks or paving was not in place, thus enclosing an area that collected rainfall. There is also--if you look carefully-- a missing piece of downpipe in the guttering, which no doubt helped fill the "paddling pool" with rain from the roof above.

It is this sort of issue that just makes you wonder how well--or not, as the case may be--the work is being supervised.

Another months delay no doubt.... Crying or Very sad

Rob
Derby4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although today the terrace looks dry despite the heavy rain on Saturday, there still appears to be an incomplete downpipe for rainwater off the roof.

Maybe the barrow is placed there to hide their embarrassment, or perhaps is an integral part of the rainwater collection system!

Everything appears to happen so slowly on this site.

Rob
Bryan Clarke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the reason for the sluggish pace on the build is now being forced out into the open by the constant flow of concern and reasonable questions from members, share holders and investors.

From the latest official releases it is clear that there was NO fixed contract and the the SVR are going to negotiate the final cost with IRIS towards completion - good luck with that approach. This also implies no tender process was undertaken. How did the SVR manage to get itself into this unholy mess. With the size of the budget involved it would have paid to get professional advice from the outset if there was non available in house.
Derby4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably goes without saying Bryan, that there will be a collective "sharp intake of breath" when we do find out what the final bill is.

It does appear strange that there may well not have been an agreed "spend" at the outset, given that there is a fixed pot of money (from the share issue) to cover what was originally intended, although probably subject to amendment now.

Rob
Bryan Clarke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
It probably goes without saying Bryan, that there will be a collective "sharp intake of breath" when we do find out what the final bill is.

It does appear strange that there may well not have been an agreed "spend" at the outset, given that there is a fixed pot of money (from the share issue) to cover what was originally intended, although probably subject to amendment now.

Rob

The unspoken issue is that the contractor will almost certainly not have been working for the extended period of the build without receiving regular payments. Any negotiations now are going to take place once the 'horse has bolted'.

I guess we are were we are and I am sure the words 'lessons will be learned' will be wheeled out. All a very great shame for the SVR and our passengers..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 77 of 80

Jump to: