SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2019 senior membership fees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redleader 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: 2019 senior membership fees Reply with quote

Well in typical fashion the SVR has implemented their threat to increase membership fees for seniors with no announcements or notifications for 2019.

The senior joint membership fee has increased from £25 to £28 an increase of around twelve and half per cent. But there has been no increase for 'ordinary' members. Just seniors screwed again. The senior discount on day rover fares was abolished last year and continues in 2019. It is well known that the majority of passengers midweek are seniors and it seems the SVR is actively discouraging them.

In communication with Head Office last year raising the topic of proposed increase in senior membership fees a pertinent line in a written response was 'it is unfair that younger members were subsidising the majority (seniors). So that's alright then. I suggested a reduced fee for 'working members' was 'worth looking into' but obviously ignored. So seniors now have to pay even more to the SVR in order to volunteer. Great idea for retaining older members.

The perception among many volunteers is the SVR is top heavy with paid staff with over a third of all income going on staff salaries. That's a lot of ticket sales.

Worth bringing this this unannounced info to working members although it will actually make no difference.

End of rant...…...wonder if this post will be taken down or left for all to see ???
sharpo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've seen your post, and agree with what you say.

Might be losing free TV licenses for over 75s as well. Ooh, sorry, bit off topic.

Check the blog for all the latest sightings, photos or videos:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Or links from calendar -
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/?page_id=5050
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at it from a different perspective, a rise from £25 to £28 means that as long as no more than about one in nine seniors refuse to renew, the railway gets the same income while having to print less magazines.
Haven't most retired people got private pensions these days? Going by the disposable income for 50 to 74 year olds, compared to the under 30s, £3 isn't going to make much difference.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/824464/mean-disposable-income-per-household-by-age-uk/

I agree on your point about the wages bill apparently being very high, although the SVR does cut out the middle man by employing bar and catering staff and cleaners directly, rather than contracting the job out, so hopefully there are savings being made there. Even so, £50000 a week on wages for 70 full time equivalent staff does sound a lot.

Edit to add;
"Average disposable income is increasing at a faster rate for retirees than for people of working age in the UK..." https://www.ft.com/content/1549789a-7c42-11e7-9108-edda0bcbc928
LMS2968

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Graham, absolutely. As one of these over 65s, I have to say that my income has reduced quite a bit from when I was working. This is more than balanced by reduced expenditure, e.g. mortgage paid, work travelling expense gone, no kids to drain the monthly income, and a few other odds and sods. I'm better off now than I was when working, so see no reason why I and my peers should get reduced fares.

I don't see why kids should get reduced fares either, but best not go there!
Divington_R

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,

Sorry, but Reg will have to get his soapbox out and have a good old rant!

I have to agree with Redleader and Sharpo. The SVR has made a judgemental error, albeit they have piggybacked on a national trend to pick on and extract more money from OAP’s.

The national economy has been in serious decline for many many years and I suggest right wing think tanks have mistakenly brainwashed the country into believing that pensioners are ‘loaded’ with cash and as a consequence have or are about to lose the benefits of retirement that others used to receive. Some issues seem to get swept under the carpet and forgotten. For example, the English OAP used to get free bus travel at 60 years of age. I understand you have to be 66 years or maybe even older before you qualify.

Yes some lucky people who retired in the past are well off, as mentioned by LMS2968, but there are many more who are not!

This wealth group has peaked and is now in decline as private pension schemes have collapsed or been tweaked and manipulated by the owning companies. So to pick on current and future OAPs is most unfair I would suggest. I truly believe there will now be in a long term declining trend in older travellers on the SVR until corrective action is taken at a later date.

A final comment to Graham and his internet connection link to a document about wealth of retirees. Sorry, I am not wealthy enough to subscribe to the ‘FT’, so cannot read the content.
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the links I gave above appear to work once, then get blocked behind a paywall when you try to access them a second time.
This one should work for everyone, Distribution of median and mean income and tax by age range and gender: 2015 to 2016 (Tax payers only) from that infamous right wing think tank, HM Revenue & Customs.
To summarise, it's a fairly flat bell curve with the peak at age 40-44, and the over 60s being fairly level with the under 35s.
I'll see if I can find something similar later for all households, including non-tax payers, although I fear this is not the sort of argument to be won by evidence and reason.
cherry_p

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wealth [or otherwise] of pensioners was a matter for debate when the Senior discount was removed last year for fares on non-premium days.

The problem is that there are 2 extremes -- those who had good jobs with a good final-salary pension, who are more likely to own their own home with the mortgage paid off. They are relatively cash-rich, and don't really expect senior discounts everywhere.

At the other extreme, there are those with only the state pension, possibly don't own their home, and are paying out a fair bit in rent. They have relatively low disposable income.

But you can't have 2 classes of fares, or of membership, for the 2 extremes. Whatever decision is made will be seen to be wrong by some people!
std tank

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, on the big railway, a pensioner can purchase a senior railcard and get 30% off the normal fare, no matter how much they have in their pocket. This is for travel 363 days of the year.
cherry_p

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std tank wrote:
Now, on the big railway, a pensioner can purchase a senior railcard and get 30% off the normal fare, no matter how much they have in their pocket. This is for travel 363 days of the year.
Now, on the SVR, a pensioner can purchase membership and get 33% off the normal fare, no matter how much they have in their pocket. This is for travel somewhat less than 363 days of the year! [same goes for anyone of course!!]
std tank

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
std tank wrote:
Now, on the SVR, a pensioner can purchase membership and get 33% off the normal fare, no matter how much they have in their pocket. This is for travel somewhat less than 363 days of the year! [same goes for anyone of course!!]

Yes, reduced fares for members is mentioned on the SVR web site. Perhaps you would get more people taking up membership if 33% was mentioned, but, hang on, if that was said, too many people might join and the SVR could lose out at the end of the day. Or would they?
Robin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
std tank wrote:

True, but the argument is whether senior members should or should not be entitled to a discount on their membership fee in order to get the same 33% discount of the price of fares as other passengers.

Applying the same logic on discrimination, if people are not entitled to a discount on membership due to their age, why are they entitled to a discount on fares because they have a spouse and children?
Lench_S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019 senior membership fees Reply with quote

Redleader 1 wrote:
I suggested a reduced fee for 'working members' was 'worth looking into' but obviously ignored.

As a working member myself, not in the senior category, I would feel very uncomfortable to receive a discount on my membership for simply being a volunteer. Why would I choose to give less money to the railway I want to support??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: