SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bridgnorth Station redevelopment: 2012 onwards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83, 84  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Share

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Bridgnorth overflow car park Reply with quote

Sorry Pete, but brother Alan and I parked up in the top field. The exit was not obvious when we arrived so as we left we asked about the exit. We were told by a member of station staff that the exit was best by the entrance drive since the gate could well be shut.

Incidentally, I found the path down to the station somewhat dangerous in that it was uneven and, in places, extremely risky where it narrowed and became quite ridged - I judged it safer to walk back up the access road than up the path.

Once finished though, including path, it will be a great asset to Bridgnorth station .

Peter
mrmover

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be any lighting for the access from the station a) over the rough surface past 82045 and b) up the path or the access road to the top car park. My wife, who has mobility problems but does not qualify for a blue badge, found it very difficult to get to the car after the last arrival today.

On a positive note, the toilets are a very significant improvement. Let's make sure they stay that way.
batchacremike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Bridgnorth Station Redevelopment: 2012 Onwards Reply with quote

On my visit yesterday the new car park was open. The pedestrian exit is temporarily signposted down the public footpath between the access road and the rear of the houses. It would not be suitable for anyone with mobility issues. The vehicle exit is again temporarily down the access road. The new exit road is not quite finished at the bottom of the hill. The footings are in place for a footpath across the full width of the car park and there is hard core showing the line of the new exit footpath zigzagging down the hill. There are pipes in place ready for electricity cables which will be needed at least for ticket machines but I expect for lighting and possibly an exit barrier similar to Kidderminster?
The old toilets were closed much to my wife’s liking as the old ladies only three out of five wash basins worked and then only a trickle. The new toilets are a superb step back in time!
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bridgnorth Station Redevelopment: 2012 Onwards Reply with quote

batchacremike wrote:
On my visit yesterday the new car park was open. The pedestrian exit is temporarily signposted down the public footpath between the access road and the rear of the houses. It would not be suitable for anyone with mobility issues. The vehicle exit is again temporarily down the access road. The new exit road is not quite finished at the bottom of the hill. The footings are in place for a footpath across the full width of the car park and there is hard core showing the line of the new exit footpath zigzagging down the hill. There are pipes in place ready for electricity cables which will be needed at least for ticket machines but I expect for lighting and possibly an exit barrier similar to Kidderminster?
The old toilets were closed much to my wife’s liking as the old ladies only three out of five wash basins worked and then only a trickle. The new toilets are a superb step back in time!
The new toilets are fine. However I do wonder if some of our younger travelers who have difficulty understanding slam doors will get on with pulling the chain (actually pulling a rod) on a high level cistern
Old Bean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You assume they've been taught to flush.
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its rather sad but one of the tap top butons which indicates hot / cold has already gone missing
Derby4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sad that someone had removed said item from the taps in the new Gents. "Sampled" the new facilities today, a vast improvement on what we had before.
Still some finishing work around the site, mainly top-coat tarmac when work recommences presumably tomorrow. The new refreshment area looks superb from the outside looking in.
Just an observation, not a criticism, the serving counter looks quite modest, and the staff area behind looks restricted, I hope they will be able to cope with the demand.
Anyone else have a comment?

Incidentally a busy last day of the festive season service, plenty of passengers around. 7802, 6990, 2857, and 7714 in action.
Perhaps the rather benign weather has helped. Almost spring-like today, at least compared to what it could have been, remember last winter!

Rob
oliver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, sad that someone had removed said item from the taps in the new Gents.

Seems like this has been returned/replaced as when I went in last night, I couldn't see any missing..
Derby4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were missing on Sunday, but perhaps there were some spares in stock for replacement.

However, can anyone report progress this week with the finishing works outside around the site, such as top coat tarmac in a number of areas? Again the weather has been quite kind.

Thanks

Rob
madderlake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tables & chairs mostly set out in new buffet, and was told by someone who should know that it will be (now, I don't remember the exact word he used, so let's be cautious and say 'operable') by the end of the month.

Walsh are working on the graded footpath and landscaping on the slope behind the boiler shop. I expect top coat tarmac will wait until they have finished moving 'dirt'. I didn't look at the exit side. I understand the parking area will not have a tarmac finish.

The concrete pad by the boiler shop crossing seems to be finished.
Robin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madderlake wrote:
I understand the parking area will not have a tarmac finish.
Yes, the project report in the current SVR News confirmed it is a BodPave mesh with gravel infill. Presumably that helps with surface water drainage - how it performs in the long term only time will tell.
hunter_i

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the reference to the concrete pad by the boiler shop crossing.

There is a video on YouTube showing 2857 being unloaded on the pad after a prolonged reversal up the Station Lane. Either the driver is brilliant at reversing or there is someone steering the trailer wheels at the other end.

I assume this new unloading point is necessary because of the redevelopment of Kidderminister Mainline Station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VEFMpYKQGo[/quote]
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter_i wrote:
Regarding the reference to the concrete pad by the boiler shop crossing.

There is a video on YouTube showing 2857 being unloaded on the pad after a prolonged reversal up the Station Lane. Either the driver is brilliant at reversing or there is someone steering the trailer wheels at the other end.

I assume this new unloading point is necessary because of the redevelopment of Kidderminister Mainline Station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VEFMpYKQGo
[/quote]Having watched Alleys delivering a loco at Kidderminster the trailer is steered by a steersman in radio contact with the driver
madderlake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a new onloading point. Engines have been loaded and unloaded at Bridgnorth from the eariest days of the SVR. It has just been improved.
cherry_p

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madderlake wrote:
This is not a new onloading point. Engines have been loaded and unloaded at Bridgnorth from the eariest days of the SVR. It has just been improved.
Although Bridgnorth HAS been used over the years, the majority of movements have been from Kidder until recently. Two things have changed here -- [1] the recent requirement for all locos arriving to be weighed before use means they must come to Bridgnorth in any case, and [2] modern low loaders have much-improved steering these days, which means they can manoevre into the unloading position at Bridgnorth far more easily than before -- this was never really an issue at Kidder, which has more space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83, 84  Next
Page 82 of 84

Jump to: