SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kidderminster sand used at Swindon Foundry?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As ever, the maps raise more questions than they answer.
Why was W.J.S. Banbury given permission to erect an aerial and poles, apparently on the roof of Bewdley platform canopy, and why was that one particular house on the Stourport Road subject to a special agreement in 1922?

Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go, the whole lot available for download.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1t2gmp9jy/
The ones with the longer titles were PDFs and appear to have been scanned as they are better quality. I've converted them to JPGs.
Lench_S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
Here we go, the whole lot available for download.
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1t2gmp9jy/
The ones with the longer titles were PDFs and appear to have been scanned as they are better quality. I've converted them to JPGs.

This is a wonderful resource - thank you for posting!
Robin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
The Ordnance Survey's 6" and 25" map series' weren't completed until the 1890s. I can't find a date of publication on the plans, but I suspect they predate the OS maps, although I don't know if they were surveyed by the GWR, or copied from the original SVRC/OW&W survey.
There are lots of notes relating to land sales and purchases, and grants of access. The 1860s ones look like they were included in the original plans. The oldest one I have found so far that definitely looks like an amendment is dated 1880.
The plans are in a book in landscape format with typically two sections of approximately one mile each on each page. 10 pages cover the line from the junction with the Kidderminster/Hartlebury line to just north of Bridgnorth. Kidderminster station is not included. They are arranged for best fit on the page with no regard for orientation.
Thanks Graham, and also thanks for uploading the downloadable files.

It doesn't necessarily follow that the 2 maps of the Bewdley to Kidderminster Curve had the same survey date as the rest of the SVR maps, but they would presumably be no earlier than 1878 when the Loop line opened. 'GWR Severn Valley Railway Sheet No 3' includes the connection onto the Loop in the map as surveyed rather than as an addition, and therefore is presumably also no earlier than that date. However the passing loop at Arley which opened in 1883 has been added by hand. It therefore looks likely that the maps were surveyed somewhere between those two dates.

[Edit] The map of Highley station includes the 1880 siding for the stone quarry in the original survey rather than as a manual addition, narrowing the field further.
Graham

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheet number 3 is interesting in that the boundary follows the Hartlebury line, with the Kidderminster line apparently outside the GWR boundary.
Sheet number 2 shows the boundary as it should be, although the original boundary has not been erased. This suggests to me that it was copied from an amended pre 1878 plan, even if this issue was published after that date.
I also find it interesting that the sheet numbers do not start at Hartlebury. As it is, they only include that of part of the SVR beyond Bewdley, plus the Kidderminster Loop. They may, of course, be numbered out of sequence and appear later in the book.
There's mention of "...each series of plans..." and plans being kept by "Heads of Department" which suggests there was more than one copy in existence.
I wonder if each set of plans was updated individually, with the potential for individual plans to miss out on some amendments, or if there was a master set, which got copied and distributed along with instructions to destroy all older versions.
Robin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
I also find it interesting that the sheet numbers do not start at Hartlebury. As it is, they only include that of part of the SVR beyond Bewdley, plus the Kidderminster Loop. They may, of course, be numbered out of sequence and appear later in the book.
Or they may be numbered in sequence, but with only pages relevant to the present day SVR being copied, ie the full book may go Curve 1, Curve 2, [SVR 1, SVR 2] SVR 3 etc. Hartlebury Junction to Bewdley South could probably fit on 2 pages.
Graham wrote:

There's mention of "...each series of plans..." and plans being kept by "Heads of Department" which suggests there was more than one copy in existence.
I wonder if each set of plans was updated individually, with the potential for individual plans to miss out on some amendments, or if there was a master set, which got copied and distributed along with instructions to destroy all older versions.
The bound book that has been photographed looks to me like a master set that has been updated over many years. The scans look more like a 'pocket version' and could be an example of the copies that were distributed from it. But as you said up-thread, more questions than answers.
Graham

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A discussion on Kidderminster Shed with a couple of photos and mention of 10000 tons of foundry sand being excavated.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2360466988/permalink/10156047446871989/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: