SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bridgnorth Station redevelopment: 2012 onwards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hunter_i

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although virtually impossible to tell from the daily snapshot, the latest view possibly shows the area at the front of the building has been levelled off.

Also the last few views have show workmen around that corner of the building. So maybe they were preparing to finish the concreting from the patio?

Did Tony C happen to notice any work on restoring the platform surface?
Robin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter_i wrote:
Although virtually impossible to tell from the daily snapshot, the latest view possibly shows the area at the front of the building has been levelled off.

Also the last few views have show workmen around that corner of the building. So maybe they were preparing to finish the concreting from the patio?

I did. The 'extension' half of the terrace is now surfaced with diamond-pattern brick, complete apart from a few in one corner which require cutting. The whole terrace also has the rounded-edge bricks (don't know the technical term) installed around the edge to close up the gap under the bottom of the fencing.

The area between the platform and the terrace gate plus the bit on towards the water column is also now surfaced with plain brick forming a gently sloping ramp. My guess is that the same brick transition will be done all the way along the front.

Not sure if it is in the latest photos, but the two lamp posts are also installed, minus their tops.
Tony C

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin wrote:
hunter_i wrote:

I did. The 'extension' half of the terrace is now surfaced with diamond-pattern brick, complete apart from a few in one corner which require cutting. The whole terrace also has the rounded-edge bricks (don't know the technical term) installed around the edge to close up the gap under the bottom of the fencing.

The area between the platform and the terrace gate plus the bit on towards the water column is also now surfaced with plain brick forming a gently sloping ramp. My guess is that the same brick transition will be done all the way along the front.

Not sure if it is in the latest photos, but the two lamp posts are also installed, minus their tops.
I picked up most of that and also from what I could see of the interior the "half height" wooden wall facing (again don'tknow the correct term) seemed to be coming along
cherry_p

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NBI issued this week:

This NBI will bring readers up to date on:
 Phase I Refreshment Room completion
 Phase II Field Car Park and Access Roads
 Catering Provision for Staff

Phase I Refreshment Room
If you have been to Bridgnorth Station you will have been witness to the external construction and interior fit out of the building and in particular the high level of finish that is being applied internally and externally. Reclaimed materials are being used where possible and if these are not available Great Western design is being used as the exemplar.
Using reclaimed materials, the high levelof design required and other issues with construction has meant that the contract for the project is significantly over its original forecast date. The Project team and Board Sub Committee have explored opportunities to part open the building, but this will not be possible, therefore it is envisaged that the building will be complete by the end of 2018 and open for the new 2019 season with a grand opening penciled in for the March Gala.
These dates are subject to change as we work with the Contractor on the nature of the delays and to establish the final costs for this phase of construction. As we approach the end of the year there will be further details on the dates of when the contractor hands the building to the SVR, the SVR fit out and training of staff and opening of the building.
We understand for Working Members and Shareholders this phase of construction seems to have been long and arduous, please remain patient as when this building is open, I am sure you will all be impressed at the high quality of the building, its finish and the attention to detail.

Phase II Car Park and Access Roads
At the August Holdings Board the Accountant and Company Secretary shared an analysis of remaining Share Offer funds for Bridgnorth the Directors unanimously supported the appointment of Walsh Construction, following a tendering process, to undertake the work on the Field Car Park and Access Roads. Walsh have already bought in site cabins as they prepare to undertake this project after the September Steam Gala.

The Car Park will be transformed to provide 200 parking spaces but will retain its green field appearance. The lane that enters the field from the Back Lane (by the Boilershop) will be improved and a new trackway will be built at the back of the Southern fields to bring cars down the side of Hanbury Cottage and out underneath the tunnel. There will be expenditure on improvements to the public realm, including the condition of the tunnel under the Railway and the surface in front of the boilershop. A pedestrian access path will be built from the car park down to the front of the Boilershop.
By the beginning of the 2019 season we will have fulfilled significant Phases of the Bridgnorth Plan, with the construction of the Refreshment Room, new toilets and the Field Car Park. This will be advantageous and see a marketing and publicity campaign focused on Bridgnorth as a gateway to the Severn Valley Railway for the counties and cities to the North of the line.
The Turntable project for Bridgnorth is underway, but a revision in its location on site means that this element of the plan will be resubmitted to the planning department of Shropshire Council.
Catering Provision at Bridgnorth:
Following the NBI sent out in April regarding the supervisor vacancy, Rita Holland started on the 23rd July as Bridgnorth Refreshment Room Supervisor. Rita was the Catering Supervisor at Highley Engine House Visitor Centre and brings a great wealth of experience and passion. We do not plan to replace Rita’s vacancy at The Engine House as existing staff will fulfil the duties.
Catering menus have been designed for the new Refreshment Room, Bridgnorth and these will be advertised online as part of the timeline prior to the opening date.
The Bridgnorth catering team will also be managing the staff facilities in the Graham Hill building (next to the Boilershop). The kitchen layout has been finalised and the contractor appointed. It is anticipated that this will open once the new refreshment room opens as some of the existing catering equipment from the old buffet will be moved across to the volunteer facility.
I’d like to give my thanks to Samantha Hayward and her team for supporting the running of the old Refreshment Room through 2017 and 2018. Samantha is planning to refurbish the Railwaymans Arms where she can during 2018 and 2019. The minor works will include replacement beer lines, internal decoration, replacing window and door frames.

As we approach the handover date for the new Refreshment Room more clarification will be given on its opening.

Nick Ralls
General Manager
Redleader 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Bridgnorth Station redevelopment : 2012 onwards Reply with quote

After the GM's NBI about Bridgnorth redevelopment now delayed until February 2019 I am surprised that no one has commented on it considering the questions being posted fn recent. How must the share holders who contributed to this share offer must be feeling at present.

There is still no comment from the Board or management on the following

1. Was there a fixed rate for the redevelopment of station buildings, if not the builders must be laughing as there is no rush for them to complete.

2. was there a penalty clause inserted for late completion ??

3. who was monitoring the progress as it wil be around 16 months behind scheduled opening October 2017 ( I believe)

4. Will heads roll due to this embarrassing shambles......I doubt it...

There is a deafening silence and lack of transparency in the above As a silver pass holder I refused to put any more money into the share issue after seeing the original plans regarding glass surrounded lifts and walkways etc........somehow this decision proved to be a good choice.

GM would like us all to be patient...............oh well only another 5 months to finish it, what a joke
oliver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with the comments posted here about the way in which this project has been carried out, but on a more positive note, phase 2 started this week with work on the carpark and access road.
long_m

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Redleader for your succinct and apposite comments. I too will hold back on any further share purchases as I am not happy with this development which seems to have been ill starred from day 1. To be told that it will not be available until Feb 2019 just adds insult to injury!

Martin Long
mikestone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what pray is an NBI?
I
cherry_p

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikestone wrote:
And what pray is an NBI?
I
Notice Board Issue
Derby4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The statement just posted on SVRLive does now answer some of the thoughts that shareholders have been wondering about for some time, in particular the considerable over-run on timescale, and a consequent cost over-run. Worryingly it looks as though spending the shareholders money has been somewhat "vague"--to be polite! In particular the comment about agreeing final costs with IrisConstuction implies that financial control has been somewhat lax as the build progressed. If the work had been properly costed and agreed with the contractor as the build progressed, then surely there would be no need for "negotiation" as such?

I was going to write (as a member and shareholder) to Mr Paul and ask that once the refreshment room contract completed, an inquiry was held to ascertain frankly what went wrong with the whole contract, time-wise and financially.

However from the statement on SVRLive it looks as though that inquiry is already being initiated, and that the results will be made available to shareholders.

Whilst we did not want to be in this situation, at least there is a realisation by management that shareholders are entitled to know what happened, warts and all. That in itself is a good thing.

Rob
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused over what exactly is included in each phase and how each phase is funded.

From the original share offer document;

"Phase One of the project consists of the construction of a new refreshment room and toilet facility, a building faithful to Great Western Railway design, the conservation of the Grade II listed station building, expansion of the Railwayman’s Arms bar and the relocation of the shop allowing the reconstruction of the passengers’ Victorian waiting room."

"The total cost of the project is approximately £5 million and comprises three separate phases which are described in this document."

"We are looking to raise £2,500,000 from this Share Offer to complete Phase One and Phase Two of this project."

"First, the construction of a new refreshment room and toilet building...The refurbishment and internal alterations to the Grade II listed station building...This first phase will also include the initial stages of a comprehensive tree planting scheme..."

"Second, additional and much improved car parking
will be provided...The former Bristol (Bath Road) Turntable will be
installed in the locomotive yard..."

"Third, although not the subject of this Share Offer, a
new accommodation building incorporating offices,
workshops and stores on the ground floor will be
constructed."

From the latest announcement via SVR Live;

"Phase I - Refreshment Room and Toilets...The final project costs for Phase I are subject to negotiations with the main Contractor..."

"Phase IIa - Car Park and Access Roads, Phase II b Turntable"

"Phase III - the Conservation and renovation of the Station Building, and extension to Railwayman’s Arms...there may be opportunities to apply to relevant Charitable bodies for funding towards this phase of the project..."

So, as I understand it, Phase 1 is now just the new building.
The work on the existing station building, which was originally included in Phase 1 has now become Phase 3, with some confusion over whether there's enough money left out of the original £2.5M that was raised to pay for this, or if it's all been spent on the new building and we now need a grant from some unspecified charity.
Phase 2 has been split in to 2A & 2B.
The original Phase 3, and the tree planting, get no further mention.
hunter_i

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
NBI issued this week:

This NBI will bring readers up to date on:
 Phase I Refreshment Room completion
 Phase II Field Car Park and Access Roads
 Catering Provision for Staff

The Bridgnorth catering team will also be managing the staff facilities in the Graham Hill building (next to the Boilershop). The kitchen layout has been finalised and the contractor appointed. It is anticipated that this will open once the new refreshment room opens as some of the existing catering equipment from the old buffet will be moved across to the volunteer facility.
I’d like to give my thanks to Samantha Hayward and her team for supporting the running of the old Refreshment Room through 2017 and 2018. Samantha is planning to refurbish the Railwaymans Arms where she can during 2018 and 2019. The minor works will include replacement beer lines, internal decoration, replacing window and door frames.

As we approach the handover date for the new Refreshment Room more clarification will be given on its opening.

Nick Ralls
General Manager

Graham has explained the revised funding situation very well. As he mentioned Phase one was to include "The conservation of the Grade II listed station building, expansion of the Railwayman' Arms bar and the relocation of the shop allowing the reconstruction of the passenger's Victorian waiting room."

In the last SVR News, the project team detailed the delay in renovating the existing station building, which they now hoped to do in the Railway's closed period. However as quoted above, this now seems to be limited to some minor refurbishment of the Railwayman's Arms.

I am also confused by the detailed comments in the NBI regarding the staff catering facilities in the Graham Hill building next to the boiler shop. The proposed floor plans for two station buildings are available in the Bridnorth Development Scheme section of SVR Live, and the planning documents show both the proposed alterations to the existing building (as originally designed), and the new building layout. The new building layout provides for an area designated as a "Staff Mess" in front of the kitchen and opening onto the platform. The original purpose was clearly to allow volunteers in work clothes a private eating area, although in a small building it clearly reduced the size of the Refreshment Room.

However the NBI indicates this will be the purpose of the Graham Hill Building and a contractor has been appointed (does the Railway own or just lease that building?)

It is therefore the intention (since it is next to the kitchen) to make that area in the new station building as a take away food outlet for passengers/visitors, and thus a much needed source of additional revenue?
madderlake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it: the staff mess in the new building is for station staff only, not MPD & Engineering staff; the second door from the right is a split 'stable door' to provide a kiosk for the public; the other door is for a preparation or storage area for on-train catering; the Graham Hill building will be used until the new accomodation block is completed.
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more points I'm not quite sure about...

"The [turntable] pit location has been revised and is currently subject to a new planning application..."
I can find no mention of this on the Shropshire Planning web site.
Installing the turntable was first mentioned in 2010 and planning permission was granted in 2016. Isn't it a bit odd to start thinking about relocating it now?

From https://www.svrlive.com/bridgnorth-development
"The renovation of the turntable will be undertaken in conjunction with the owners, the Turntable Fund." I think this is the first I've heard of the Turntable Fund actually owning the turntable. Does anyone know any more? I asked a couple of years ago and nobody knew then.

From https://www.svrlive.com/bridgnorth-development-archive
"In terms of finance, a further £807,000 has been allocated from the 2012 share monies, but there is still a shortfall to complete the first phase. A new share offer will be introduced in November to try and fund the balance of the first phase and also the whole of the second phase. It is hoped to raise £2.5M from this offer..."
Does that mean there is a total of £3.3M available to spend on Phase 1 & Phase 2?

"During this period the Company will be seeking help from the Charitable Trust as there may be opportunities to apply to relevant Charitable bodies for funding towards this phase of the project"
Does this mean the £3.3M has all been spent already and we are now relying on charity? Or does it mean that six years after fund raising started, someone has realised that we could have applied for charity?
Robin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
"The [turntable] pit location has been revised and is currently subject to a new planning application..."
I can find no mention of this on the Shropshire Planning web site. Installing the turntable was first mentioned in 2010 and planning permission was granted in 2016. Isn't it a bit odd to start thinking about relocating it now?

"The renovation of the turntable will be undertaken in conjunction with the owners, the Turntable Fund." I think this is the first I've heard of the Turntable Fund actually owning the turntable. Does anyone know any more? I asked a couple of years ago and nobody knew then.
John Giles, the Chairman of the Bridgnorth Turntable Fund, wrote a number of articles in SVR News around the time it was acquired and occasionally since. Selectively quoting:

SVR News 122 Spring 1997: The Bridgnorth Turntable Fund is actively progressing several turntables, and lt is expected that one should become available very soon.

SVR News 126 Spring 1998: Following a very successful SVRA (Kidderminster Branch) raffle and fund-raising campaign, we have managed to successfully negotiate for the purchase of the Bristol Bath Road turntable.

SVR News 129 Spring 1999: The next phase involves still more fund-raising before installation can start. The fund hopes to finance as much of the restoration and installation as possible, leaving the SVR to provide the trackwork and signalling alterations.

SVR News 160 Winter 2007: More than nine years have passed since we obtained the 65 foot turntable from Bristol Bath Road, for installation at our Northern terminus. We had hoped that by now the turntable would be in use, but unfortunately other projects have taken precedence and the issue of where to site it has still to-be addressed.

SVR News 168 Winter 2009-10: Bridgnorth turntable, ex Bristol Bath Road shed, is still owned by the Fund, and is in storage awaiting installation. The process has been very protracted due to the need to find the most suitable location. Now that the SVR has turned its attention to the improvement of Bridgnorth, it should enable a site to be identified.

So yes the fund owns the turntable, and 20 years later we thought we had a site identified. I agree it seems late to be reconsidering, but direct access to the turntable and an extension to Platform 2 both sound worthy of thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 76 of 79

Jump to: