SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
long_m

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Feedback: Visit to the SVR - 2018 Reply with quote

I was able to make a sadly rare visit to the railway last week in glorious weather.

I was impressed with the state of Bewdley Station which looked marvellous with its sparkling paintwork and lovely flower beds. The same can be said of Arley another little jewel. Highley was rather below the standard set by the other two.
Hampton was good. Poor Bridgnorth is suffering from being a builders site still (will it ever end?).

All staff were smart and polite and a credit to the railway and that includes the footplate crews who were happily answering questions from the public.

There were a number of Grandparents on childcare duties and I noticed that the children's boredom threshold was reached after an hour and at that stage they start being creative perhaps in ways detrimental to the historic rolling stock. It would be better for them if a break was taken sometime along the line.

The locomotives in use were clean some sparklingly so.

One thing that does let us down is the often unkempt rolling stock parked in various places especially the graffiti strewn ballast hoppers parked on the bridge over the Bewdley by pass which is not a good advert for us. The same goes for the sleeping car at Kidderminster which should look like the one at Arley!

Now before anybody says why do you not do it well I live a four hour journey away and the Railway has never been good on the matter of volunteer accommodation! I cannot afford to spend 400 a week for reasonable accommodation so I can indulge my interest.

Thanks to all for a memorable couple of days.

Martin
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Visit to SVR Reply with quote

long_m wrote:
I was able to make a sadly rare visit to the railway last week in glorious weather.

I was impressed with the state of Bewdley Station which looked marvellous with its sparkling paintwork and lovely flower beds. The same can be said of Arley another little jewel. Highley was rather below the standard set by the other two.
Hampton was good. Poor Bridgnorth is suffering from being a builders site still (will it ever end?).

All staff were smart and polite and a credit to the railway and that includes the footplate crews who were happily answering questions from the public.

There were a number of Grandparents on childcare duties and I noticed that the children's boredom threshold was reached after an hour and at that stage they start being creative perhaps in ways detrimental to the historic rolling stock. It would be better for them if a break was taken sometime along the line.

One thing that does let us down is the often unkempt rolling stock parked in various places especially the graffiti strewn ballast hoppers parked on the bridge over the Bewdley by pass which is not a good advert for us. The same goes for the sleeping car at Kidderminster which should look like the one at Arley!

Now before anybody says why do you not do it well I live a four hour journey away and the Railway has never been good on the matter of volunteer accommodation! I cannot afford to spend 400 a week for reasonable accommodation so I can indulge my interest.

Martin
Martin - it is a pity you did not have a look at the other side of the sleeper as it is being painted by one individual. When he has finished the loading dock side the sleeper will visit the turntable so the painter can do the other side
jackson_p

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Visit to SVR Reply with quote

long_m wrote:
One thing that does let us down is the often unkempt rolling stock parked in various places especially the graffiti strewn ballast hoppers parked on the bridge over the Bewdley by pass which is not a good advert for us.

Martin
Hi Martin, more siding space for the goods wagon fleet seems to be on the longer term wish list and has been discussed on this forum.

Have a look at these links
https://forum.svr-online.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4037
and
https://forum.svr-online.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3705
hunter_i

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

long_m wrote:
One thing that does let us down is the often unkempt rolling stock parked in various places especially the graffiti strewn ballast hoppers parked on the bridge over the Bewdley by pass which is not a good advert for us.

Martin
Hi Martin, more siding space for the goods wagon fleet seems to be on the longer term wish list and has been discussed on this forum.

Have a look at these links
https://forum.svr-online.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4037
and
https://forum.svr-online.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3705

I must first apologise for commenting from a distance (and how you hardworking volunteers cope with the English weather is beyond me).

However on the question of unkempt rolling stock, I could not help noticing on recent videos taken at Kidderminster, the wagons at the Kidderminster Museum.

I know the disintegrating wagons have been there for some time, and while it is hard to tell from the videos, it appears cars entering the car park drive right beside them on the passenger (usually female) side - is one wagon in fact right beside the boom gate where cars have to stop?.

Judging by the often full car park this is probably not an issue for regular passengers, but I have to wonder, with the rest of the surrounds in pristine condition, if this is not a really bad look for tentative first time visitors.

I assume the wagons are owned by the Museum and they may want them for future restoration/Museum development, but maybe a short term swap for one or two restored vehicles may be a possibility.

Although hiring a crane and transporter may not be cheap, can space be found in the marketing budget?

Apologies again for the armchair comments.
KJEvans

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback: Visit to the SVR - 2018 Reply with quote

long_m wrote:

Martin

It's being repainted. The dock side is now looking quite nice and hopefully it can be turned in the not too distance future for what is the platform side atm to be done.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: