SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bridgnorth Station redevelopment: 2012 onwards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 70, 71, 72  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derby4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just see at the very edge of today's daily update image on SVRLive that reinforcing material is in place on the patio extension.

Unless some kind soul reports progress before then, I will update after my visit on Saturday.

Given that our timetable brochure advertises this facility from "Summer 2018" there must now be pressure to get the job completed. At least the weather shouldn't be a factor anymore. I wonder what the target is, 1st August maybe....? Come on chaps!

Rob
madderlake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebar cages for the terrace extension being worked on today. Still quite a lot to do. The timber structure of the 'Bovey Tracey' shed looks pretty much done.
Derby4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brief update from yesterday, 16th.

As madderlake mentions, some work is in progress on the terrace extension. Wooden formwork is going in above the steep slope, and some large polystyrene ( or similar) cubes are being laid down, presumably to reduce the amount of mass concrete required. The piles have been cut to length, but don't appear to have their reinforcing or concrete inserted as yet. The only rebar in situ is immediately adjacent to the existing edge of the terrace. Presumably the rest of the reinforcement will sit on top of the cubes when they are all in situ.

Inside the plastering looks well advanced, but not yet complete.

The platform-side outer blue brick wall looks a sorry mess. It would appear the plasterers are using the wall as a vehicle for cleaning off their equipment. There are watery plaster streaks all the way along. I hope this will clean off without having stained the brickwork. Why is the site foreman allowing this? To me it shows a disrespect for the building and the carefully chosen materials.

Also on the platform side of the building there are three expansion breaks in the brickwork, and these coincide with where the guttering downpipes will fit. At present there are no downpipes, and you wonder if rainfall water from the roof will be penetrating these expansion gaps. Some of the adjacent brickwork did show signs of dampness.

Talking to people at Bridgnorth there appears to be no clear indication of a completion and " in service" date, someone even suggesting that the new building might miss the summer season and the Autumn Steam Gala!!

I wonder if anything was said at the AGM yesterday about the building over-run, and any cost implications? Management have been tight-lipped about both.

Rob
Derby4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, together with four images, just posted on SVRLive by Mr Bond.
tigger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for unintended silence; hope to update further this evening after being on duty at station today.
Derby4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brief note on SVRLive says that the concrete pour for the terrace extension took place yesterday (Thursday).
Does anyone have any images they can share please?

Thanks

Rob

Edit: 29/6: The note about the concrete pour has been deleted, and from today's image it looks as though the concrete pour did not take place. Fake News?
Could the taker of the daily image please just move their camera shot a little to the right please, then we would be better able to see what is, or is not, taking place. Thanks.
Derby4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mornings image on SVRLive indicates that the concrete pour for the terrace extension has taken place.

So,over the weekend did anyone have a looksee inside the new building(from the platform) and can give an indication of further progress on the interior?

Thanks

Rob
Derby4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any images of the extended terrace that they can post here?

Images of progress are a bit thin on the ground at present!

Many thanks

Rob,
Robin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the view on Thursday. The new pour is the raised block, presumably the original part of the terrace will be filled at some point to bring it up to the same level.
Derby4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robin.

If as you say the new concrete is at a higher level than the existing, I find that puzzling. On the daily image on SVRLive, it did look as though the new concrete was at the same level as the existing, and I presumed from the wooden formwork that there might just be a raised edge, to support what will need to be a substantial wall or fence to ensure no-one can fall over the steep slope!

No doubt Mr Bond will come along and explain all. We appear to be on a ration of one update per month, so a couple of weeks away as yet. I had hoped now that work has intensified that we would see more frequent updates, to see how "our" share money was being utilised!

Rob
hunter_i

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the photo posted there is a light grey stripe evident at the base of the building (behind the pile of bricks), which may indicate the final height of the terrace. In some of the daily images a similar stripe also seems to be visible at the base of the rear wall behind the scaffolding.

It is very pleasing to see the the sides of the slab will apparently be brick clad with no compromise to the heritage look. I note on the Friends of Kidderminster web page, a reference to spear top fencing they are providing for the terrace (see the listing under Projects for Bridgnorth Fencing).

http://www.kfriends.org.uk/
Robin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter_i wrote:
In the photo posted there is a light grey stripe evident at the base of the building (behind the pile of bricks), which may indicate the final height of the terrace. In some of the daily images a similar stripe also seems to be visible at the base of the rear wall behind the scaffolding.

It is very pleasing to see the the sides of the slab will apparently be brick clad with no compromise to the heritage look. I note on the Friends of Kidderminster web page, a reference to spear top fencing they are providing for the terrace (see the listing under Projects for Bridgnorth Fencing).

http://www.kfriends.org.uk/

Yes, in this early photo on the Wiki you can see a step down between the slab on which the building itself sits and the terrace.

That step is now visible as the pale line below the brickwork in the new photo (the level of the door sill can also be seen). Within the building, the floor is now a little higher than the slab because of the screed on top of the under floor heating.

The edge of the existing terrace slab is about 2/3 of the way up the new pour (just visible on the left of it in the new photo) which puts the top of the new pour at about the same height as the door. The bottom of the new pour is roughly at the soil level in the original photo.
hunter_i

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photos of the building in the SVR Live update of 25 May, show a similar height differential with existing ground level both at the rear and the other side of the building. However at the front the platform seems to line up with the doorways. Note in particular the photo showing the base of the footbridge. Maybe those lower surrounds are to be surfaced in a particular manner?

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/acbe94_1b1921a55d044f7ea8191735fe798501~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1000,h_562,al_c,q_90/acbe94_1b1921a55d044f7ea8191735fe798501~mv2.webp

https://svrbridgnorth.wordpress.com/2018/05/17/pictures-outside/
hunter_i

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my previous post on variations in the ground levels at the back and side of the new building, I apologise for not noting the explanation in the latest SVR News project update. As explained at page 14, the retaining wall for the service yard will address the existing cross fall of nearly one metre from the platform to the Donkey Gallop and thus line up the back of the building with the level of the platform.

Also with the constrains of the site due to the sloping and unstable ground, it would be logical that the original terrace design provided for a step down from the building, which reduced the weight of concrete on the steep embankment.

However with the new terrace extension having its own piled foundations, the opportunity has presumably been taken to raise the terrace level to match the building. By provide a level surface any potential OH & S issues with carrying food and drink over a step are also eliminated.

One cannot help but be impressed by such examples of the attention to detail and creativity by the project team as detailed in the SVR News article, and the team's desire to set the highest standards in railway preservation construction can only be highly commended.

I therefore hesitate to raise one small point on the proposed terrace railing. The team note that all visible finishes and detailing will closely reflect traditional GWR practice, and the tables and chairs on the terrace will similarly comprise replicas of suitably robust GWR designs. The only concern in my mind, is whether the terrace railing will provide a sufficient wind break to meet the expectations of diners for a comfortable outdoor eating environment in such an elevated location. If the perimeter brick laying is currently progressing, could consideration be given to extending the brickwork say to waist height at least on the most exposed side of the terrace? Since the GWR was aware of the requirements for robust outdoor furniture, maybe they also had solutions to this particular weather related issue?
Derby4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick supposition regarding the finished level of the terrace and extension, maybe an allowance has been made for suitable paving along the platform side and the terrace?

To keep within the ambiance of the building we might see something like a period-look concrete slab, stone paving, or setts.

The latter is unlikely, because for carry-out trays of tea etc one does need a relatively smooth trip-free surface.

Clearly that area wont just stay as the bare concrete. No doubt we will be told in due course!

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 71 of 72

Jump to: