SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Senior citizens & SVR cost increases: 2018

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redleader 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Senior citizens & SVR cost increases: 2018 Reply with quote

The subscription increase for SC members in 2019, as mentioned in the 2018 summer SVR news, is yet another indication that the SVR doesn't really value the older members of society. It mentions that possibly two thirds of members are seniors but why should they get a discount. As working members we have to have 'membership' in order to volunteer so we have no choice in this. In 2018 the senior discount on day rovers was abolished so someone who travelled last year has to pay an extra 2.20 this year. Earlier this year there was a notification that the SVR would have an advertising campaign to attract more seniors. Bit of an own goal there ?. There is a SC discount on special even fares though, big deal.

It is very noticeable that midweek the majority of our passengers are SC's and school and coach parties. It is very very noticeable that in 2018 our passenger figures are well down. You only have to look at trains. Is it a coincidence of the above. Certainly as front line staff we are getting adverse comments about no SC discount.

We have had 2 long days working as front line staff during 1940s weekend plus working on preparation prior to the event and if the SVR wants to retain the services of folks like us then maybe they should rethink the increase in member SC subscription. Otherwise it might just be our tipping point to say enough is enough. The perception from many working volunteers we know is that there are far too many paid staff and we are just here to keep them employed. All volunteers love working on the SVR and appreciate that costs increase yearly but if you keep penalising senior citizens then it might come back to bite you in passenger numbers and volunteers. Rant over

Interesting to see if this post is deleted or moved but SVR Management should be interested in volunteers thoughts and their perceptions.
Divington_R

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Redleader, A big hoorah for you!

The SV seems determined to no longer recognise senior citizens. If you look at the Fares 2018 item the senior citizen fare is discontinued and now SC membership category is also to go. Oh well, so my custom will also go elsewhere in protest. It is worth remembering that many of us old 'uns do not have much cash to play with and every penny counts.

I do beg the SV to seriously think this through before too much financial harm (loss) may occur?
Bryan Clarke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to understand the SVRs recent contorted justification over the matter of Senior Citizens. Presumably it make sense to Accountants and the Board. With serious competition getting ever closer to the SVRs main catchment area with the opening of Broadway, it is not in my view the correct time to raise fares to a group that many feel should be given some encouragement to support the railway.

OAPs are not costing the Railway. If anything, their presence contributes to the bottom line in fares alone, to say nothing of their other financial support. To penalize them now makes little economic sense and ends up blighting goodwill.

It's a little like SLY news and their incorrect but often asserted statement that all the problems faced by the NHS are because of an ageing population.

Best not to blame those who over the years have contributed plenty both in volunteering and financial support.
LMS2968

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why OAPs (I hate the term, senior citizens) should have a reduced fare. We - and I'm in that category - probably have a higher standard of living today than most working people, many of whom also have the financial burden of a family. Then again, I don't understand why children taking up entire seats should travel at a reduced rate either.

And yes, I do have to pay to be a member as I volunteer at BH mpd. What's the big deal?
Bryan Clarke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMS2968 wrote:
I'm not sure why OAPs (I hate the term, senior citizens) should have a reduced fare. We - and I'm in that category - probably have a higher standard of living today than most working people, many of whom also have the financial burden of a family. Then again, I don't understand why children taking up entire seats should travel at a reduced rate either.

And yes, I do have to pay to be a member as I volunteer at BH mpd. What's the big deal?

Nothing in the world is a 'big deal' if you have the where with all. The SVR has never insisted that OAPs had to pay the old reduced rate. It was extremely simple to pay the full fare if that's what people wanted and could afford to do. The point surely is that there are many, many OAPs who struggle on their retirement income and a reduced fare was a small gesture of support, whilst still adding to the bottom line. It was also a goodwill gesture who's scale and importance it is impossible to measure.

I simply regret the change as something that could turn out to be self defeating and unnecessary. The end of year passenger numbers will be the final arbitrator on just one income stream.
Robin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The anouncement in SVR News which triggered this discussion relates to the proposed new membership subscription rates which, as I read it, are being held for 'normal' members and increased for senior members through a partial reduction of the current discount. The changes to the rates have to be approved by the members at the Guarantee Company AGM on 14 July, and that is by no means a certainty. As the article states, "This is obviously not the easiest thing to sell to members".

I would urge any interested member to do as I intend to, which is to attend the AGM, participate in any discussions, and then vote accordingly. Proxy votes for those who cannot attend need to be lodged by 12 July.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: