SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Highley: Engine House Visitor Centre – closed 20 June 2018

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackson_p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Highley: Engine House Visitor Centre – closed 20 June 2018 Reply with quote

Extract from the SVR website [as viewed 08 June 2018].
http://www.svr.co.uk/NewsItem.aspx?a=842

The Engine House is closed on June 20th

We have some very exciting plans for The Engine House this year, including moving a few engines in and out!

On Wednesday 20th June, The Engine House at Highley will be closed as we move 8F No. 48773 from Highley to Kidderminster for our upcoming Last Days of Steam event on August 4th.

Whilst the 8F is at Kidderminster, Great Western Railway tank engines No. 4566 and No. 5764 will be moving in, and taking up residence for a period of time. These locomotives have been out of service for a number of years, and have been stored inside Kidderminster Carriage Shed awaiting overhaul.

The third and final move will be pulling Black 5 No. 45110 onto The Engine House's carpark for display throughout July and August, as well as its starring role at our Last Days of Steam event alongside 8F No. 48773.

We apologise in advance for any inconvenience this may cause, but we're sure you'll love seeing the two new engines inside our Visitor Centre.

This forum post is a snapshot extract from the main SVR web site and is not necessarily updated to reflect change. Always refer back to and check the main web site to confirm details are still correct.

Last edited by jackson_p on Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Divington_R

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without trying to 'rock the boat' has the Railway considered reducing the train fare on the day the Centre is closed? On a normal day the 'Freedom' ticket cost includes free entry to the Centre so if it is shut the train fare could be said to be not fair? Opinons invited!
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, the road past the Engine House is a Public Right of Way, so you could stand there and watch some interesting shunting going on.
We ought to charge extra. Very Happy
Robin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine House shunts usually draw a crowd; certainly there were plenty of folks around (present company included!) when Hagley Hall came out and 45110 went in.

This time 46443 and Lady A will have to come out temporarily before the 8F. It will be interesting to see the order in which everything goes back.
jackson_p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A further extract from the SVR website [as viewed 14 June 2018].

...and don't forget to tune into the action online!

Whilst The Engine House will be closed throughout the day on Wednesday 20th June, you'll be able to settle back and watch the goings-on all day online:
- Youtube (@severnvalleyrailway)
- Facebook (@svrofficialsite)
- Twitter (@svrofficial)
- Instagram (@severnvalleyrailwayofficial)

From video to images, to live-streams and text updates, tune in to the #TheEngineShuffle from every angle, as we undertake one of the biggest Engine House shunts yet!

This forum post is a snapshot extract from the main SVR web site and is not necessarily updated to reflect change. Always refer back to and check the main web site to confirm details are still correct.
Divington_R

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackson_p wrote:
A further extract from the SVR website [as viewed 14 June 2018].

...and don't forget to tune into the action online!

Whilst The Engine House will be closed throughout the day on Wednesday 20th June, you'll be able to settle back and watch the goings-on all day online:
- Youtube (@severnvalleyrailway)
- Facebook (@svrofficialsite)
- Twitter (@svrofficial)
- Instagram (@severnvalleyrailwayofficial)

From video to images, to live-streams and text updates, tune in to the #TheEngineShuffle from every angle, as we undertake one of the biggest Engine House shunts yet!

Dear Graham and Robin, thank you for the comments and hear what you say. However, I have purposely copied the latest message above from the SVR as it effectively reads to me that they do not want people getting in the way and prefer you to watch proceedings from elsewhere?
Robin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divington_R wrote:
Dear Graham and Robin, thank you for the comments and hear what you say. However, I have purposely copied the latest message above from the SVR as it effectively reads to me that they do not want people getting in the way and prefer you to watch proceedings from elsewhere?
Reg, I'd certainly agree they don't want people getting in the way and I would not advise anyone to loiter in the road or on the footbridge. However I can't see why there would be any objection to SVR customers spending time in the station's picnic area on what is, after all, a normal working day. Particularly if they visit the kiosk from time to time for a cuppa and a slice.
Redleader 1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Highley : Engine House Visitor Centre - closed 20 June 2018 Reply with quote

All very well asking folks to come to Highley and watch the spectacle but we have limited car parking and kiosk is closed week days.....we don't have enough staff to man(or woman) it...……..

But spare a thought for us working on station that day or in Engine House as we will probably have 6-8 hours of diesels (diseasels more like it) pumping out their fumes for us to breathe it...……..not much fun I can assure you...….

but enjoy yourselves at home watching the fun, better than the football...

but if anyone does turn up come onto the platform and I will certainly make you a cuppa as long as you bring me a face mask.....
jackson_p

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extract from the public domain side of SVRLive [[i]as viewed 17 June 2018].
https://www.svrlive.com/ehshuntinfo

Engine House Shunt...20th June 2018

Coverage will be available from around 8:00 a.m. across most of our internet platforms: SnapChat, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube, as well as this website.

The purpose of this day is the removal from the Engine House of Loco 48773 and it's transport to Kidderminster. In its place Loco 4566 & 5764 will be placed into the Engine House.

The majority of shunting will be taking place on the ‘front road’ with only the swap of locos taking place on the back road if time permits. A proposed plan of shunting is detailed below.

The current line up of Locomotives from the Engine House Door inwards is: 46443, Highley Mining Co. Wagon, 686, 48773.

Initial moves:
    • The Class 33 will leave Kidderminster at around 8:00 towing 5764.
    • The Class 09 will leave second with 4566 in tow.
    • On arrival the Classs 33 will run round and propel 5764 into the headshunt, then stand clear in Siding No.2.
    • On arrival the Class 09 will run round and propel 4566 into the headshunt, then move to the EH House spur.

The shunt plan for the day:

1. Cl09 to draw 46443 & Highley Mining Co. Wagon from EH to No.2 Siding. (33 to move to allow this).
    2. Cl09 via North end through o.1 Siding to EH, attach to 686, draw from EH via No.1 Siding and SB into No.2 Siding.
    3. Cl09 via north end through No.1 Siding to the EH, attach to 48773 and draw into No.1 Siding.
    4. Cl33 from No.2 Siding to No.1 Siding and attach to 48773.
    5. Cl09 No.1 Siding to No.2 Siding via North end.
    6. Cl33 propel 4873 to headshunt, attach to 4566 and draw back into No.1 Siding & detach 4566.
    7. Cl09 No.2 Siding to No.1 Siding via North end.
    8. Cl33 & 48773 to depart to Kidderminster CS when convenient path is available.
    9. Cl09 to propel 4566 No.1 Siding to EH.
    10. Cl09 to return to headshunt and attach to 5764, haul back to No.1 Siding.
    11. When convenient run round via Main.
    12. Cl09 propel 5764 No.1 Siding to EH.
    13. Cl09 L/E EH to No.2 Siding via No.1 Siding.
    14. Cl09 to shunt 686 from No.2 Siding to EH via No.1 Siding.
    15. Clo09 to return to No.2 Siding via No.1 siding.
    16. Cl09 to propel 46443 & Highley Mining Co. Wagon from No.2 Siding to EH.
    17. Cl09 to move EH Front Road to EH back road.
    18. Cl09 to shunt 47383 from EH to No.2 Siding.
    19. Cl09 from No.2 Siding to EH via No.1 Siding.
    20. Cl09 to shunt 45110 from EH to No.1 Siding.
    21. Cl09 to move from No.1 Siding to No.2 Siding.
    22. Cl09 to shunt 47383 from No.2 Siding to EH.
    23. Cl09 to move to Siding No.1 via No.2 and attach to 45110.
    24. Cl09 to propel 45110 from No.1 Siding to EH.

There is also a copy of the signal diagram for Highley box.

This forum thread is a snapshot extract from the main SVRLive site and is not necessarily updated to reflect change. Always refer back to and check the main web site to confirm details are still correct.[/i]
sharpo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught the first train to Highley, returned on the 2pm. Filmed rather a lot of shunting but left before Jinty or Black 5 were moved. This is just the first part, if you want more in a day or so - you know where to look, I won't post the other links.

https://youtu.be/Koa7BL94Nds

Check the blog for all the latest sightings, photos or videos:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Or links from calendar -
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/?page_id=5050
Robin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
Caught the first train to Highley, returned on the 2pm. Filmed rather a lot of shunting but left before Jinty or Black 5 were moved. This is just the first part, if you want more in a day or so - you know where to look, I won't post the other links.

Thanks Sharpo, enjoyable videos as always. I ddn't get to see much of the action on the day due to other commitments, so good to see what transpired.
sharpo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin wrote:
sharpo wrote:

Thanks Sharpo, enjoyable videos as always. I ddn't get to see much of the action on the day due to other commitments, so good to see what transpired.

Cheers Robin, another two still to come, then finally a shorter one as I returned to Arley with D9551. To be honest, it was really enjoyable filming - very little time with no action - except lunch break, giving me time to eat my jam sandwiches!!

Check the blog for all the latest sightings, photos or videos:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Or links from calendar -
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/?page_id=5050
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: