SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index SVR-Online Forum (Secure)
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

45110 and August 1968 / 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cherry_p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMS2968 wrote:
There are still a few MNA members on the Railway, most notably David Williams, Tony Bending and Mick York. I think Dave Lacey is still involved too, all I think were there at the time.

Others I recall were Dave Holroyd and Alan Castle, at that time Alan Cattle. Wasn't Jim Bodfish involved too?

Not my photo so I hope Mr Burns doesn't mind, but how many can you recognise?
Yes - the first four mentioned are still involved in the SVR [in fact I while I was Duty Shedmaster at Bridgnorth yesterday, I saw 3 of them!!], but very sadly several of those in the pic have died in recent years -- Alan Castle, Jim Bodfish, and Peter Proud [NYMR]; also Dave Holroyde, but don't think he's in the pic.
Bill Creasey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: 45110 and August 1968 / 2018 Reply with quote

The photo was in an old magazine, in an article by Maurice Burns regarding the end of steam if anyone would like a list of the people in the the photo I can supply. Jim Bodfish is stood on the ground extreme left.
Derby4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Ralls has confirmed to me that there will be an "end of BR steam" feature at the Engine House next year, centered around 45110.

48773 was also involved in the end of steam proceedings, right up to the last day of "normal" working, Saturday 4th August, when it worked 1Z74 from Blackburn to Carnforth with the less fortunate 44781.

I had arrived at Carnforth earlier on the GC Enterprises "Farewell to Steam" tour with 45156, Ayrshire Yeomanry, and happened to be on the platform at Carnforth when this duo arrived, with the 8F leading. 48773 did not go on shed at Carnforth, but headed straight back South, presumably to Rose Grove.
The postscript to this story is that on the 8th August, 48773 was lit up coaled and watered at Rose Grove, for a LE trip to Bescot and onward to the SVR, but never got off shed, Control enforcing the steam ban (other than the 11th August train) and 48773 was eventually towed by a diesel, rods off, for delivery to the SVR.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a very good plan, thanks Rob

Patrick
LMS2968

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the main problem with the in-steam delivery was the yellow stripe on the cab side, and while the engine was in steam with a crew on board, and assurances given that the stripe was no longer applicable and should have been removed, the authorities wouldn't budge. So the engine arrived as described, but calling at Tyseley to attend an open day en-route.
Derby4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure there are a number of books around that detail the "end of steam" proceedings, but the one I have to hand is: "Steam The Grand Finale" by Alan Castle, ISBN: 978 1 906167-10-3 available used online for little money. It was published by Heritage Railway magazine around ten years ago for the 40th.
Includes lists of the last workings and much other background info. It includes a copy of that photograph mentioned above, with some names to become familiar on the SVR and elsewhere in the preservation world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum (Secure) Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: